26 | Questions and Answers

Hinata's last year of high school had begun a while ago and Komaeda had promised himself that he would come out to him before the other boy graduated. He had come up with a good plan.

The brunet was coming over and he decided to look at some old photo albums with him.

They sat on his bed now and Komaeda opened the first one. He was five years old in this one and wore dresses and skirts most of the time. They looked at more and more photos until Hinata spoke up.

"This is kind of a weird question, but..."

This was it. This was the moment Komaeda had been expecting.

"Why are there no pictures of you as a baby? And none of your mom when she was pregnant?"

"Oh. That." Great. This was not the question he was expecting. "I'm adopted, but that's not what this is about-"

"Adopted?!"

"Yes, but like I said, this isn't-"

"Why are you adopted?"

"Huh? I just am,"

"Well... do you wanna tell me about it?"

Komaeda sighed. "Fine. My parents really wanted a child, but couldn't have one by themselves, so they decided to adopt. I got adopted when I was five. And that's also partly why they're so protective of me,"

"But what about your real parents?"

Komaeda took a deep breath. This wasn't what he wanted to talk about, so he was just gonna get this over with as fast as possible. "I don't know. They died or maybe they hated me or something. I don't remember since I was really young when I was put up for adoption,"

"Woah... I had no idea-"

"But that's not even what I wanted to talk to you about!"

"Then what did you wanna say?"

"I... no... you were supposed to- I thought you'd notice,"

"Notice what?"

Komaeda held up the photo album again. "Look at these pictures! You can't tell me you didn't notice a single thing!"

"I don't,"

"Look at my clothes,"

"It's a... pink dress?"

Komaeda nodded. "Yes!"

"So?"

The pale boy sighed. "Ugh, stop being open-minded for a second. Imagine that boys can't wear dresses,"

"Oh, so... you're a girl?"

"Yes! Wait, n-"

"Haha, good thing I'm bisexual!" He grinned.

"No, I- mh..." Komaeda looked off to the side. He didn't want to say it. "I... I'm trans,"

"Oh." Hinata said. Then he smiled again. "Well, I think you're the most beautiful girl in the world,"

Komaeda fell back onto his bed. "This is hopeless..."

"Huh? I don't care that you're trans! I think you're just as great as before,"

"I am not a girl... I'm a boy... I am trans and a boy,"

"Oh." He said again. "I see. Well, I still like you. It's just... I don't really know a lot about that. My parents never really let me ask questions about this kinda stuff. They're not homophobic or transphobic, really. They just... Ugh, I don't know. What I'm trying to say is, can I ask you a few questions?"

"Mhm,"

Hinata turned red. "Uh... why do you... stupid question, I know. I've always wondered about that though. Why don't you have like... a chest like that?"

Komaeda sat up. "I wear something that presses them to my body to make my chest look flat,"

"Huh?"

The pale boy pulled up his shirt a little. "Here, look. It's called a binder,"

"That is awesome," Hinata said.

"Mhm,"

"And like... how'd you know you weren't a girl?"

"Good question. I just kinda knew... Being a girl never felt right,"

"Cool. You don't need to worry about me not liking you because of this or anything,"

Komaeda smiled. "That's good." He nervously giggled.

The brunet put a hand on his cheek. "Can I kiss you?"

"Oh, sure!"

As they kissed, the door opened. "Huh?"

"D-dad?! Why didn't you knock?" Komaeda asked.

"Are you guys dating??"

"Yeah." Hinata said, putting his arm around Komaeda's shoulder.

His father nodded. "Okay. Uhm, can you come with me for a second, Hinata-san?"

"Alright..." He got up and they left. A few minutes later, Hinata came back. His face was bright red.

Komaeda was nervous. "And? What did he say?"

"We're allowed to be together, but he was all like 'don't you dare try anything more than kissing and don't do this and don't do that',"

"Oh, that's good! I thought for sure he'd make us break up!"