Ch 3: A Fox in Human Skin

Yumiko yawned as she reached to cut off her alarm. Monday morning had finally arrived!! She had spent all weekend moving the last of her belongings into the bedroom of the apartment Mako had procured for them, and exploring the city with him by her side.

Honestly it had been like a dream come true!! There were more people in the city than she ever imagined existing on earth!! And none of them even paid any attention to her, they were all no more than bees flitting past each other on their journeys.

They had bought a small wardrobe for her, a few toys and stuffed animals her eyes lit up at the sight of, a bag full of candies as sweets from a corner shop, and a small aloe plant to sit on the balcony.

In truth, she didn't need to buy the plant, but it had looked so sad sitting in the store. It was over-watered, and suffering from the human clerk's ignorance; she couldn't just leave it there to suffer further. Already it looked healthier as it drank in the morning sunlight.

She stretched and rose from the bed, moving to the master bath to prepare for her first ever school day.

The layout of their apartment was fairly simple. The front door opened into the main room, with a kitchen divided by a half-wall. A long hallway led first to the guest bedroom, where Mako had made his den, and the guest bath just across from it. Next came a utility closet on each side of the hall, with the master bed and bathrooms at the far end of the hall. Mako had given the girl the largest room, as she would need space for study, hobbies, and with any luck, friends coming over.

Once she had finished getting ready for her first day, checking her hair one final time, and ensuring everything was in her dark grey backpack, she opened the bedroom door to be greeted by the delicious smell of Mako's home cooked breakfast.

"That smells amazing Mako! How long have you been up?"

"Goooood morning my little kit!" The black haired cat-demon half-sang as she took a seat at the table. His hair was pulled back into a loose ponytail, and he wore a simple dark grey shirt, with black jeans, over which he had on the most adorable pink apron, with little white and blue bunnies all over it.

All in all, he looked rather silly as he flitted about the kitchen, and she couldn't help but giggle.

"How long have you been up?"

He caught the giggle as he lowered dishes filled with eggs, rice, mixed fruit, and hot-cakes to the table.

"Just long enough to get a good spread for this morning, and of course prepare a bento for you today!" He continued as he motioned to a cat head shaped bento box. Yumi looked at the box and paled.

"Mako!! I thought we agreed no silly boxes!! I'm going into high school not preschool!" She pouted, her cheeks turning red as she looked at the silly cat box. Mako looked stunned, and turned towards the counter to look as well, only to gasp and get to his feet.

"OH! No, that one's mine. Your's is beside it." He mewed, pointing to the simple dark, smoke grey bento with a koi fish painted on the lid.

_______

Breakfast had been delicious!! Mako had walked with her until about five minutes from the academy, then turned towards the library instead.

"I'll be home late today, Genkai wanted me to help out with some preparations for her tournament. Make sure you're home before dark, and lock the door behind you okay?"

He asked with worry in his golden eyes, the siren's amulet that gave the color just visible beneath the collar of his shirt. This was hard for him, he had watched over her nearly every day for a decade, but now, just as with any other, it was time to let her forge her own path.