Ch 17: Team Up! The Missions Begin!

Once classes had finished for the day, Yumiko and Shuichi set off for her apartment. He had been kind enough to offer to walk her home in case Mako was still angry about her little prank! They made the trip in relative silence, though that was fine with Yumi.
Having spent the previous day with Kaoru constantly by her side, a little quiet was a blessing! She loved the silly human girl, but she didn't think anyone could out-chat her!

It wasn't until the elevator opened onto her floor that either realized something was off. Shuichi instinctively stepped in front of her, an uneasy feeling emanating through the corridor. Yumi ran a hand through her hair, unfastening one of the seeds she kept in her bow, ready to grow her golden petals should she need them.

They reached her unit, and Shuichi slowly twisted the doorknob. Yumiko felt a shift as the door creaked open, and saw the demon's posture relax a bit as he opened it more widely. She was about sigh in relief, feeling his sense of calm through their bond, when a second emotion, overwhelming and white-hot washed over her; rage.

Inside the apartment Mako glared at the prince with his teeth bared.

"If it's such a low level assignment then why do they even need a healer???"
He growled, hands pressed down on the island bar, holding his weight as he leaned across to bare his teeth in the toddler's face.

Koenma gulped, but held his ground, his blue ogre standing protectively by his side.

"I understand your concern for the girl Mako, but this was all agreed to as the conditions of her release from the compound! We're very lucky to have something low-risk for her first mission! Yusuke's first mission was to go against Hiei and Kurama!!!"

They were so engrossed in the conversation that neither heard the door open, nor scented the two kitsune in the door. Shuichi coughed in warning at hearing the name he had still not divulged to the girl by his side, and both man and toddler paled.

Keonma quickly regained his composure and called them over to the island.

"Ah good, you're both here! That will save me a trip. I have an assignment for both of you tomorrow. We've had reports of two scout demons roaming around Sapporo. We need you both to travel into the city with Hiei and Maru, split into teams, and track the scouts down."

He paused for a moment, floating up to stare straight at Shuichi as Yumiko watched with a blank expression, hiding her emotions on the situation even from him.

"Now listen, Kurama... I want these demons captured alive! We've received disturbing reports of late and I want to know who they're working for, so no killing!"

Yumiko watched wide eyed as the little prince spoke to Shuichi, calling him by a name that tugged at her oldest memories. "Kura...ma...?" She said in a half whisper, and Mako snarled.

"You damned idiot!!" He said as he lunged across the room, grabbing Keonma by the back of the collar and yanking him away from the two teens.
Shuichi was pale as he turned to her, but his eyes were still as gentle as ever as he gazed into her seafoam orbs. He sent a wave of calm through their connection, sensing her uneasiness building.

"There's no need to worry Yumiko. It is simply the name I go by when assisting the spirit world. It is fitting after all... Right Koenma?"

Yumiko could see Mako's claws grazing the back of the toddler's neck as the young ruler nodded nervously.

"Eheheheh, yep! That's right! It's an alias when on missions, nothing more!!"

'It's truly nothing to be concerned with Yumi. I would simply not have demons able to link me back to my human mother, so I use a false name.'