Ch 37: Aftermath

"We've cleared a path to the entrance, quit fooling around!" Hiei called up after Kuwabara, then strode into the entrance as though nothing had even happened on the far side of the platform.

Kuwabara watched the demons pass underneath him in absolute shock!! He had been so brave and clever with his energy pole vaulting trick, and it had all been for nothing!! He scrabbled down the tower as quickly as he could, and took off after them.

Kurama was careful to keep the fox in his arms tucked into his chest as they ran. He could feel her steady breathing, and it did wonders for his focus as they climbed the final tower's stairs, only to find more cultivated plants inside.

"Gyah, they never end!!" Kuwabara exclaimed, desperation starting to win over as he thought of Uremeshi alone on the top floor.

"Let's... not waist more time!" Hiei shouted, clearly unnerved by the waves of energy rushing through the tower as well.

Kurama forced himself to stay back, wielding his whip with one hand, and deftly maneuvering the fox at his chest with the other. One corpse reached out for her. He snarled, the sound low and vicious as he snapped its wrist off, and lashed the whip back up to cleave its chest with the same blow. Hiei and Kuwabara both hesitated for the slightest moment at that snarl, before racing up the stairs once more.

"Uh, hey. What happened to miss Yumi back there anyway? I thought she had switched back to demon form!" Kuwabara asked innocently enough, but received only a glare from the fox as he ran on. Hiei paused by his side long enough to shake his head.

"Don't ask. What matters is that she'll be fine. Now, let's move!" He told the ginger boy, then followed behind the still fuming fox.

They had only made it a few more steps before the whole of the tower shook from a blow above. Kurama paused as he passed a window cut into the stone wall, and took in the bright blue flash that illuminated the sky.

"Woah... was that from Uremeshi?" Kuwabara asked, watching the sky turn back to red.

Hiei didn't pause by the window, but noted that the amount of energy released had been quite grand.

"We need to hurry!" He called as the others turned to join him once more.

There was no telling what on earth the detective was going through atop the tower. They could only hope to make it in time.

_______

(Across the Makai)

Barrow's nose wrinkled as the scents of fire and death wafted through the small clearing. Maru had chosen to come from upwind again, no doubt to give the pack time to prepare. A growl sounded from the younger dog by his side, but a quick hiss had the lad's tail tucking in obedience.

In truth, Leuran wasn't much younger than he was, but came from an outlying family within the pack, with very little standing. Raiken had offered to raise the boy to a higher rank, so long as he served under his youngest son. Barrow hadn't complained. It was nice to have a friend, even if the lad didn't have a choice.

In fact, that made it better! While Leuran was a picture of obedience most times, his temper could be nearly as volatile as Barrow's. Though not gifted with any particular element, the boy was able to hold his own in the sparring ring, and had even pinned Barrow a handful of times now! So the friendship had grown into a rivalry, and though the dog sat silent and proper, Barrow could see the temper roiling in those violet eyes as he obeyed.