Ch 35: The Trap

[A/N: Content warning in this chapter. This one is going to be rough, so please read with care. Mentions of off-scene assault, death, and torture. Nothing will be overly explicit in this chapter, but I felt this was necessary all the same.]

***

(Lower in the castle)

Kuwabara nearly tripped as he stopped suddenly in the corridor, and Yumiko let out a low whine as she sensed the shift too, her ears picking up on a strange tune. 'Something's wrong...'

The others stopped to glance back at the ginger, Yusuke speaking for the group.

"What now, got cramps?" He taunted, but the look in Kuwabara's eyes was serious.

"My whole brain just felt like an ice cube. Something bad's happening. I think back on earth..." He half-muttered, mulling over that feeling again.

"No telling how long we've been here... The beasts have likely organized a counter-assault using the makai insects." Kurama stated, and Yumi nodded from his shoulder. Whatever was happening back on earth, it was up to Botan and Maru. They had to focus here.

"Only one more... Let's not waste time!" Hiei said, the others nodding, but Yumiko pawed at Kurama's shoulder. 'Send them ahead? I want to shift.'

He thought about refusing, keen on keeping the girl close, but they could very well need her abilities on the next floor, so he nodded.

"Go on ahead, we'll catch up. We won't be long."

"You sure?" Yusuke asked with a look of concern, and Kurama nodded.

"We just need a moment."

The others nodded, then took off up the passage, and Yumiko dropped to the ground. Kurama knelt, removing her small pack from his shoulder, then turned to face up the passage as she shifted.

He felt her irritation as the shift failed the first time, and heard the rather aggressive command not to look as she tried again.

"At least it's getting easier..." She mumbled, before rifling through the bag for her undergarments. "How did I do?" She asked.

He chuckled slightly, and responded.

"You did well enough. Your balance has certainly improved, but I had to catch you several times. You need to focus a bit more on keeping that temper in check when in fox-form... I'm afraid we will have to address that once things settle down." He paused, feeling her tense as she reached into the bag again.

"Sorry..." she mumbled meekly, not even glancing at him in shame. He was right of course, her emotions were much more difficult to control in that form, compounded with her inability to speak other than to the telepaths.

He shook his head, waving off the apology.

"It's to be expected. You've spent precious little time in that form, it will take practice. I apologize again for losing my own temper with you... What I did was... unkind." His voice dropped a bit as he spoke, sorrow in his eyes for the bruise he was certain would adorn her neck due to his own lack of composure.

Yumi raised a hand to the tender flesh along the back of her neck in response, and winced. It was pretty sore... She shook her head, forcing on a smile as she called his name.