Ch 29: Gates of Betrayal

A portal opens on the outskirts of a dark city, a massive castle in the distance. Two boys fall through the portal, eyes wide as they hurtle through the sky to the ground below. From inside the castle, four great beasts gather around a crystal ball to observe the newcomers.

(Image from the show)

"We can't be rude to our guests" Says one of the beasts, his voice smooth as honey. "We should send them a gift... Genbu?"

A deeper voice, low and gravelly chuckled softly, then answered, "It shall be done." Before moving from the table. The beast melted into the very floor itself, moving through the castle walls and the ground below to reach the castle's barrier wall. A guard from the city itself stood there, waiting eagerly for orders from one of the Saint beasts. He saluted the moment the beast reared it's head from the rocky ground.

"What is your command, my lord?"

Genbu chuckled again, and pointed toward the flash of light on the outskirts.

"We appear to have unexpected guests. Our master wishes to show them every courtesy of our great city."

The guard grinned maliciously. "It shall be bone, Master Genbu!"

_______

By the time the second portal opened, Yusuke and Kuwabara were completely surrounded by low level demons! The two boys had fought their hardest against the onslaught of demons that greeted them, but were being quickly overwhelmed. They were facing certain defeat when the portal opened, four orbs of energy spiraling down to the earth below as human and demon watched alike.

As the orbs landed in a nearby tree, a blinding light flashed, and the gathered demons took off at the waves of energy coming from that tree as Yusuke mumbled, "That worked... Whatever it was..."

A familiar voice answered him.

"It seems you two could use some help!" Kurama said in his usual gentle voice. Hiei spoke next from his side.

"If those nothings were too much for you then we're going to have some serious trouble."

A scoff came from the next branch up, and a female voice called, "Oh come on! Anyone can struggle when that many freaks gang up on them! Hi Yusuke, hey Kazuma!"

As one, four demons jumped out of the tree. Kurama and Hiei landed first, with Maru and Yumiko directly behind them. Yusuke grinned as he moved to greet them.

"Well, well, well, the thieves!! And if it isn't goat-boy and foxbreath too!"

Maru shot him a warning look, and Yumiko puffed up even as Kurama shot a warning through their bond to behave. She rolled her eyes at the silent order, annoyed that he thought she would act out so easily, but gave a quiet smile instead.