Ch. 40: The Invitation

Yumiko obeyed without hesitation, stepping carefully from within her clothing, and padding not onto his arms, but between them. She padded directly up to him, then lifted onto her hind paws, to place those dark brown front paws on his chest in a silent plea. One that he obeyed with a small chuckle. He lifted her with ease, holding her tight as she wrapped those paws around his neck, just like the first time she had shifted before him, and moved a hand to scratch at the back of her neck as they walked.

A young shinigami with raven-hair waited just outside to lead them to the spacious quarters that had been set aside for them. During the walk, Kurama felt something in his chest begin to shift as he focused on the steady breathing of the fretful fox in his arms. He could feel a stubborn refusal to let go rushing through their bond, and knew that Yumiko had no intention of letting them lead him away, no matter what tomorrow's outcome may hold.

He smiled, as he thought on the fire she had just shown to them all. No one had ever spoken so brazenly on his behalf. The fire with which she had defended him set his soul ablaze in ways he had never even considered before. When she had turned to him then, a mixture of defeat, hope, longing, and stubborn refusal to accept their lot... It had nearly broke him. He knew it had nearly undone her as well, as she rarely shifted of her own accord.

Behind him, Mako walked in silence, Yumiko's clothing bundled in his arms. No one spoke during the walk to their rooms, but as the shinigami took her leave outside the door, Mako stopped, a hand to the shoulder Yumiko was not currently clinging to. He didn't speak right away, but the look in his cold blue eyes gave Kurama all the context he needed as he opened the door to their rooms.

"Yumiko, can you please wait inside?" He asked, crouching to set her down.

She let out a low whimper, tail dragging on the ground, but she obeyed, and bounded off into the room, making a show of giving them space as she went to sit by a far door.  He gave her a reassuring smile, then closed the door once more so the two could speak in private.

Make wasted no time, his voice surprisingly steady as he spoke.

"You know you can't complete it until this mess is over... right?" He asked simply, having noted the looks the two had shared before she had shifted form.

Kurama gave him a simple nod, though a sorrowful gleam hinted in those emerald orbs.

"I understand, and I agree." He said simply. There were many more things he wished to say, but the words just wouldn't come at the moment. So he left it at that.

Mako nodded in thanks, then opened the door again. He silently crossed the room, then knelt to speak with the small fox waiting by one of the bedroom doors. For a moment, he just stared at her, trying to find the words to say as she glared at him, defiance already prickling her pelt, and ears down in anticipation of his words. He wanted her to split a room with him. He still didn't like the idea of the two sharing a tent when camping, but that look in her seafoam eyes had the tomcat biting his tongue.

Finally, he sighed, and reached out a hand.

"Just... don't do anything stupid... Alright?" He asked with a heavy heart.

He knew, if Kurama survived this mission, he would have to find the strength to let the little fox go. She had grown so quickly from the tiny girl he had found on that charred field, but it was still difficult to consider.

A Forest on Fire (KuramaxOc)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara