Ch 6: The Rooftop

The young prince had stared intently at the screen in front of his desk all day as he watched for any signs of concern in the former 'pulse' child he had allowed access to the human's cities.

Despite his furrowed brow, everything seemed to be going well. He watched with growing confusion as the day wore on. From every account he had, Yoko Kurama was a temperamental, stubborn, crafty, cunning, ruthless, and brutal leader of one of the largest bands of thieves in all of the demon world!!! The boy on the screen however, was far removed from those accounts...

He hummed to himself as he watched the two fox-demons playing in a human library like kits! They seemed completely oblivious to the world around them. He leaned forward as the energy around the girl spiked, the frequency becoming unstable, and his hand hovered over the button to launch his plan-B when something remarkable happened!!

The centuries old fox-demon knelt before the child!!! He actually dirtied his knees to kneel before her and apologize for frightening her!!! The young prince hummed again, rubbing his chin as a commotion began outside.

Suddenly, his chamber doors slammed open and his iconic blue ogre charged into the room.

"KOENMA SIR!!! WE JUST GOT THE REPORT BACK ON YUMIKO'S FATHER!!!"

Koenma jumped out of his chair and punched the ogre in the back of the head before he could say anything more.

"QUIET YOU IDIOT!! Do you want the whole of spirit world to hear you???" He chastised the ogre as he reached for the report.

"O-oh, right... sorry sir." Ogre said quietly as he handed over the paper.

Koenma's eyes scanned over it quickly before stopping on the part he had been dreading for years... He was right...

"Of course she's a sylphan...." He whispered mostly to himself, then snapped into action.

"OGRE!!"
"Y-yes boss!!!" Gorge snapped to attention at his boss's tone.

"Does anyone else know of this report? "No sir, only me and botan, and you told us not to tell anyone."

"GOOD! Burn it! And say not a word to anyone!!"

"Sorry sir you said to b-burn it?"

"BURN IT!!!" He Thwacked him in the head with the rolled up paper, before turning back to the screen.

"And summon Mako... don't tell him anything, just send him to Genkai's, pronto!"

_______

Mako had been true to his word, arriving home well after dark. He had made Yumiko recount everything that happened with a worried expression at first, but it quickly turned to bouts of laughter as her tale progressed. He was overjoyed to hear how much fun she had on her first day.

He dodged her backpack, and several stuffed animals as she had a go at him for the bento box he had packed for her. He couldn't help but laugh at her embarrassment. "Tell me it didn't make you smile though!!"

She had glowered at him for that, sticking her lip out in a pitiful pout. Finally he sent her off to bed, demanding she read no more books until the next day. He knew full well that otherwise she would forget to sleep. He had just checked in on her, glad to see she had listened for once, when his communicator went off. He shut the door, and moved into the kitchen to speak with the young ruler.

"Yo." He half-whispered as the ogre Gorge appeared on the other end.

"Hello Mr. Mako! Lord Koenma requests to speak with you next Monday morning. He would like to visit you at the temple, as the matter at hand is... d-delicate. Please make sure not to bring miss Yumiko with you on this trip."