Ch 15: Girl's Day Out!!!

School had finally let out, and true to his word, Shuichi had handed Yumiko a shining bank card, and given her permission to spend as much as she would like! Miss Kaoru had watched in pure awe and admiration, noting she should become an exchange student to so someone would pay for her shopping!

Before he allowed the girls out of his sight, Shuichi turned to Kaoru.

"Miss Kaoru, I'm sure you have nothing but pure intentions with miss Sayo. Please take good care of her today, and feel free to use my card as well for the day, as a thank you for showing miss Sayo such kindness after everything that's happened." He offered.

He had never actually thanked the girl for betraying her former friend when Jinkuri had locked Yumiko on that rooftop, and he felt it was the least he could do. After all, how much damage could two teenage girls do, right?

Yumiko and Kauru looked at the platinum card wide eyed before Kaoru gave him a skeptical look.

"Are you sure about this?" She asked, as Yumiko turned the card over in her hand. She looked up at him still uncertain.

"Um... how much are we allowed to spend?" She asked somewhat nervously. Shuichi gave her a gentle smile and shook his head.

"No limit. I'm fairly certain you two couldn't bankrupt me in a single outing. There should be more than enough to cover your expenses."

After a little more reassurances, and after making the girls promise to call him if there was any trouble, Shuichi took his leave, intending to check in on a certain fire demon now that he had some free time.

_____

Yumiko and Kaoru spent the entire walk into town talking about anything and everything they could think of!! Apparently, Kaoru had a younger brother who was half her age, as well as an older sister who had just started university! Yumi told her all about her adopted siblings, leaving out the parts of them being demons of course, which got them talking about boys.

"Ben's had a crush on me ever since he was old enough to talk, but he's so irritating I can hardly stand to be in the same room with him! Maru on the other hand... it's a shame he doesn't like people, he could give Shuichi a run for his money if he ever entered school!" She giggled, then went on.

"He hates crowds though. He was really upset the entire time the competition was going on. He sees the temple as 'our' space, and really doesn't like outsiders that much. I was shocked to see him having so much fun with Kenji! He might be Maru's first friend outside the family!"

Kaoru had started swooning after that, her face flushing slightly and her eyes gleaming in the afternoon light.

"Kenji has that effect on just about anybody! He's super handsome, and super nice! Most boys are either one or the other. And then there's Shuichi, who is super polite, but I wouldn't say he's exactly friendly..." she said, putting a finger to her chin in thought.

"Come to think of it, before you joined our class he really didn't talk to anyone unless they talked to him first... though I think he was afraid of Jinkuri doing something to anyone he talked to. She was delusional that one! I'm sorry for what she did to you, but I'm glad I was able to help!"

At some point during the girl's long-winded ramblings Yumi spaced out a bit, imagining what it must have been like for Shuichi in those days. She was contemplating what it might have been like if Kenji had been her guide instead, when Kaoru stopped in front of her.