Ch 24: Territorial Demon Men!!!

"SUPRISE!!!"

Kurama nearly fell over as the room full of their friends and family screamed out! He blinked twice as he took in the room. This apartment was nearly double the size of the unit Mako had chosen for him and Yumi. The living room alone was massive, and had been set up with multiple roll-out cots for the evening. The island bar separating the dining room from the kitchen was covered from one end to the other with a menagerie of snacks. Yusuke stood in the kitchen, watching over his shoulder as he stirred a pot of pasta. An older strawberry blonde was by his side, helping Mako with what he assumed would be the sauce.

The whole room had been decked out for the party! There were green and gold balloons, and streamers, and a giant banner hung from the high ceiling that read, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOX!!". Several wrapped gift boxes lay near the dining room table, upon which sat the most elegant cake he had ever seen!!

  Several wrapped gift boxes lay near the dining room table, upon which sat the most elegant cake he had ever seen!!

(Image created with Dall-E)

He could smell even from where he stood that it was persimmon, and he gulped, trying to control the waves of emotion rolling through him as his friends greeted him with smiling faces.

"You did, all of this... for me?" He asked in a quiet voice as Mako strode over to the doorway and clapped a hand on his old friend's back.

"Of course we did!! Did you really think we would just let you get away with hiding that it was your birthday?"

As he was speaking, the elevator dinged, and a gasp broke through the hallway.

"OH POO!! WE MISSED THE BIG SURPRISE!!!"

He recognized Botan's voice, and turned in time to see her dragging a rather disheveled carrot-top boy out of the elevator. Yumiko gasped when she saw him, and took off at a run, launching towards him with a big hug!

"KAZUMA, YOU MADE IT!!!" She squealed.

Another loud screech came from inside the apartment. Kurama had to quickly step aside to avoid being trampled as Suni rushed out into the hall and ran for the boy as well! "KAZUMA!!!"

"WOOOAAOOH!!! Uhhh, HEY LADIES!!! LONG TIME, NO SEE!! Eheheh, heheh!!!" He yelled out, his arms slowly moving to embrace both girls. He froze, noticing two pair of glaring eyes, one emerald, the other ice blue, and put both hands in the air instead.

"Alright, alright! Come on guys, everyone's staring..." He whispered to the girls, who both blushed and finally stepped back. Suni grinned from ear to ear as she gripped his right arm in her hands.

"Looks like your arm healed up well, Kazuma!!!" She said while giving it a playful squeeze, a wicked grin on her face.

The boy's face turned red almost immediately and he stammered at her.
"I... I... uh... y-yeah!! Genkai healed me up real good!!"