Ch 38: The Gift

"I'm going to go wait for Yusuke to wake. Would you like to wait with me?"

Kurama asked, holding out a hand to help Yumi to her feet. She had just finished patching up a few scratches on Kaoru and Shizuru that had gone unnoticed in the presence of the greater injuries. She nodded serenely, exhaustion still playing in her eyes a bit, and her knees trembled as she tried to stand.

"Careful," He soothed, holding onto her shoulders to steady the kitsune. "You've pushed too far, Yumi."

His voice was a whisper in her ear, a gentle caress, and even as tired as she was, she felt a blush creep in. She would have argued that she had pushed to help heal her friends, but she was far too tired.

"I think I need a nap..." She yawned, then looked at his chest and shoulder rather pitifully. He laughed. A small, gentle chuckle as he led her towards the hall, knowing fully what she wanted with that look.

"Alright, alright. You're getting a bit too attached to that form, little fox." He teased, pausing in front of her room.

She gave a pitiful attempt at a growl, that wound up turning into another yawn, and entered her room, shifting the moment she was out of prying eyes. She didn't even bother to remove her clothing from where they landed on the floor, and could feel Kurama trying to stifle a chuckle as she poked her muzzle out from within the oversized hoodie.

She yawned again, exhaustion dragging at her paws as she padded over to sit by his feet, then looked up at him expectantly. A small, demanding yip sounded from the girl, and he broke, that chuckle escaping as he bent down to lift her to his shoulders. She crawled up eagerly, and he could feel a cold sensation on his neck as that Oceanfire jewel pressed against his skin.

He had hardly closed her bedroom door, returning to the hallway, when he felt her breathing deepen, lulling her quickly into sleep.

"It's about time." A voice sounded from down the hall as Kazuma walked up. "She hasn't stopped moving since she woke up this morning, she nearly bit my head off earlier when I said to take it easy!"

Despite his words, the ginger smiled at the sleeping fox. Kurama returned the smile, but winced as the boy's face suddenly grew serious. "Hey I've been meaning to ask. Is it weird, having a girlfriend who can turn into a fox? I mean... she rides on your shoulder and all, isn't that you know... awkward?"

Kurama blinked, then gave a nervous laugh as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Y-yes, I do suppose it might seem a bit odd. In truth, my former self was a fox-demon, so I am able to understand her quite easily in both. With demons, having different forms is quite common."

Kazuma thought on that for a moment, then got an absolutely wicked grin as he asked. "Have you two ever, you know... kissed in that-" 'BONK'

Kurama was saved from having to answer that, his facial expression one of slight disgust and annoyance as Shizuru's fist slammed into the back of her brother's head. He took a hasty step back as the boy fell to the floor.

"DUMBASS!! I can't leave you alone for two seconds without you saying something stupid!! Of course he doesn't, right kid?" She tossed a glance to him, and he flinched, the woman in front of him quickly taking on the aura of a mother bear.

"R-right!" He answered quickly, hand up in front of him in a submissive gesture.

Kazuma got back to his feet, rubbing at the bump on his head with a scowl. "Jeez, I was just curious... Anyway, you're gonna go wait for Uremeshi to wake up right?"

It was always a wonder how the boy could go through so many expressions in such a short amount of time. As that scowl turned to a mischievous grin once more, Kurama couldn't help but worry.