Mentoring (days 3-6)

The next morning, I quickly shower and change, and then I go to wake Proteo. I enter his room and grab some training clothes for him. Then I wake him up and lay the clothes on his bed and leave.

I sit at the table with the others and soon Annie and Proteo join us. After breakfast, Finnick and I take our tributes down to the training room. When we get there, I see Oakley there and we choose to spend the morning together. As Finnick goes to our floor, I go with Oakley to his. We spend all morning watching movies, drawing, and writing to relax ourselves. I even take a nap on his shoulder.

After lunch, we spend a bit more time together till it's almost time for me to go to private training with Proteo.

I spend all of training trying to teach Proteo how to climb and use knives along with any skill he might need, and I could teach him in a small amount of time.

After training we go up to our floor and shower. Then we eat dinner and go to bed. That night, I stayed on the phone with Oakley again. It's nice to have a friend who understands all of this. I hate to say it, but I'm starting to lose hope for Proteo. Everything I try to teach him, he doesn't do well in. His parents really set him up for death when they chose to "protect" him from everything. All I can do is try my best to help him.
_______________________________________

The next morning, we did the same thing. I wake him up, eat breakfast, and take him and Annie to training. When we're about to leave, Annie gives Finnick a hug and then leaves. It seems like I'm not the one who should be worried about getting attached.

Today, I went out to hype our tributes up to rich sponsors. Since I'm known and District 4 usually gets a lot of sponsors, I'm able to get quite a few to be sponsors for Annie and Proteo.

At lunch, Oakley invites me out to eat at Walter's. Walters isn't as crowded at lunch, which is nice. Walter cooks us up some steak and fries, and we eat it up while having casual conversation. A few people notice us and take pictures, which makes me nervous. This isn't a date, but it could seem like that. I try to push my nerves down and continue our meal.
_______________________________________

At training, I try to practice weapons more with Proteo. He seems to be best at knives, so I try my best to help him with that. I tried to teach him to throw the knives, but he doesn't have good hand eye coordination.

That night we went up to our floor and ate dinner then I went to my room and that night I immediately fell asleep.
_______________________________________

The next morning, Finnick lets me sleep in and skip breakfast. Then we take Annie and Proteo down to evaluate. Then we go up to our floor and wait. After an hour, our tributes come back upstairs looking nervous.

We eat lunch and wait on the couch for the ratings. During the ratings, Proteo gets a 2, and Annie gets a 4. Well, that's not good, but at least they won't be as big of a target.

We eat an early dinner and all head to our rooms. Finnick and I hang out in his room for a while until Annie rocks and comes in crying. She looks so scared. Finnick holds her, and I leave to give them privacy. When I got to my room, I pulled out my songbook and continued writing the song Nixie and I were making.

Later, I take a hot bath and dress into some pj's. Then send Oakley a goodnight text before drifting off to sleep.
_______________________________________

The next morning, we eat breakfast and take our tributes to the stadium. Annie and Proteo are taken to their dressing room. After Proteo is dressed, I go into the room and give him any last advice I can for his interviews. He looks so nervous.

The TV starts playing Caesar's introduction, and I take Proteo to his place in the line. Then I go back to his dressing room to wait.

Annie is pulled onto stage first. She seems nervous but handles the interview well. Then Proteo is called on stage. I tried to help, but he could barely get through the questions.

Soon, he comes back and sits next to me.

"Sorry, I really tried," he said with a sigh. I brought him into a hug, and I could feel him shaking. "I'm going to die," he cries out.

I just keep holding him, wanting to tell him otherwise.
_______________________________________

That night, we eat dinner, and all go to our rooms, but I watch as Annie goes into Finnick's. I hope everything turns out for them.

I get a text from Oakley saying goodnight, and then I go to sleep. Tomorrow's the big day.
_______________________________________

The next morning, Finnick wakes me up, and we eat breakfast. I tell Annie and Proteo to eat a big breakfast to keep them fed for a while, so they do.

Finnick and I take Annie and Proteo to the plane and watch as they enter. Then, we get on our own plane with other mentors and designers.

When we get there, Finnick and I split up and go to our tributes' rooms.

When I entered the room, Proteo is there, shaking and panicking. I went up to him and give him a big hug.

"Take care of my sister for me." He asks, "My mother is dead, and my dad is very sick. She needs someone. Please."

I silently nod and watch as he goes up the tube. I excited the room and went into Annie's where Finnick was watching the screen as the games started. I stand next to him and grab his hand as we watch the TV anxiously.

Annie and Proteo choose to run away from the cornucopia together, and Finnick and I take this as a moment to walk to our plane. We sit down and buckle our seatbelts. We watch the games from the screen in the plane.

Soon after, everyone gets on the plane, and we head back to the capital.
_______________________________________