Chapter 14

Italics mean dream sequence.

Papa and I were in the park having a picnic. It was a pleasant summer day, and the wind was blowing pleasantly to help us keep cool. While we ate, another one of Papa's enemies came up from behind with a ski mask covering his whole face and shot Papa right in front of me.

I woke up immediately, "Papa!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. A few seconds later Papa kicked my bedroom door open with his shotgun with a silencer attached, he pointed his weapon in all directions with his finger floating on the trigger. "Alright, whoever's in here who's stupid enough to threaten my little girl! I'm giving you until the count of 3 to leave before I send you to meet, your maker!" he screamed at the top of his lungs. But when he saw that my room was empty, he put his shotgun back in the case and went straight to me in my bed. "Oh, what's wrong my Piccola Principessa?" he said as he sat next to me in a comforting tone of voice. At that moment, I couldn't hold it in anymore. All the tears and fear I was holding back for 3 months spilled out of me like a flood.

"I-I-I-I dr-dr-dr-dr-dreamt that you got shot right in front of me and there was nothing I could do about it!" I said stuttering from all my tears. "I don't think I'm strong enough to be without you Papa!" I exclaimed hugging him as hard as I could. "Shh, shh, shh. It's ok my little soldier girl." Papa said as he rubbed my back to calm me down. "I know it must have been hard for you when I got shot, but there's something you must never forget: No matter what happens to me, there's nowhere on this Earth that you can go that I won't be with you every step of the way." He explained. He pointed to my heart and head saying, "In here and here.". He took out a tissue from the tissue box on my nightstand and handed it to me, "Here, blow your nose." He instructed. I blew my nose, dried my tears, and threw the tissue away in the trash can beside my bed. As I steadied my breathing I said, "That makes me feel better. But could you stay with me, until I fall asleep?" "Of course, my brave little soldier girl." He said grabbing my desk chair to sit next to my bed.

"How about I sing that song your Mama used to sing, hmm?" he asked. "That sounds nice," I replied getting comfortable. One might think that with his voice he'd be a terrible singer. But to me when he sang "Dormi Dormi" it was the most beautiful singing I ever heard. After he finished the song, I was fast asleep, but I could hear him whispering. "Goodnight my little Angel, and remember I'll always be with you no matter what." He said softly as he kissed the top of my head and tucked me in a bit more.

This is the song that Michelle's Dad sings to her: