Chapter 17

After the 30 minutes were up, they came out of the locker room. It looked like they were talking about something serious from the looks on their faces. But I remembered how Papa always told me to not be nosy about grown-up business, so I didn't ask. "Ready to hit the ring sweetheart?" Papa asked. "Sure, if you're ready to lose!" I teased him. "We'll see who loses to who!" Papa laughed along with Uncle Antonio. "Well, you two have fun. I'm going to check on the tanning beds, one of the trainers said that it was on the fritz." He said pointing in the back to where the tanning beds were kept. I picked up my gym bag and Papa and I went to the boxing ring on the other side of the gym. I opened my gym bag and took out the chalk to put on my hands so they wouldn't get too dry.

Papa got his boxing gloves on, just as I was putting on mine. We spared together for about an hour and a half; I landed some hits on him, and he landed some on me but overall, I hit him more times; until the two of us got tired and went for a swim in the pool to cool off. After swimming we said our goodbyes to Zio Antonio and went home. Papa and I spent the rest of the day watching TV together until it was time for us to go to sleep.