It wasn't better

I can hear her humming, the loud footsteps getting closer and closer

I'm still under the bed, holding my breathe as I feel the blood seeping into my skin.

My family's blood.

It's so dark here. But I can't leave, I have to hide.

I was one of twelve kids, I was the youngest. And the only girl.

She killed all of them.

My parents, my siblings, my grandparents and cousins, everyone.

"wake up." I silently beg, shaking my moms body but she's cold.

The bed gets throws to the side and I see a scary girl with a scar smiling down on me.

"There you are." She says and I start to cry.

She grabs my arm and yanks me up but I cling to mom, hoping she'll wake up and save me.

She doesn't wake up.

The girl drags me to a van and throws me inside before slamming the door shut.

Its completely dark.

There's no light.

All dark.

It's suffocating me.

I can't breathe.

I'm going to die here. Alone.

Completely alone.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

I gasp as I wake up, searching the room.

It's dark.

I'm back in that van.

I'm alone.

No.

I turn on the light switch, looking around.

I'm in a bedroom. Not a van.

It's okay Alina, you're safe.

But I'm not safe.

I'll never be safe ever again.

When Alina joins us in the kitchen she looks like a ghost

"Hey, you alright?" I ask her and she just nods.

I share a look with Halston but we both know there's nothing we can do if she doesn't want to talk about it.

"Audrey, Davina's awake." Alexia tells me as she walks in, grabbing an apple.

I nod and walk down to where she's being kept while we get her to calm down.

When Francis sees me he runs over. "All yours, she's scary." He tells me before practically running up the stairs.

I walk into the room and see Davina sitting on the bed, so I sit down on the bed across from her.

"You're back from London." I say, trying to start a conversation.

"No shit." She answers.

"Why are you here?" I finally ask, getting to the point.

"Nadine sent me to retrieve her daughter." She says and I stiffen.

"Keep your voice down." I rush out and she laughs.

"What? Don't want anyone knowing your little secret? That's too bad, I was looking forward to exposing you." She tells me.

"Why are you being like this? What did I ever do to you?" I ask her.

Now she's mad. She finally looks at me, well glares at me.

"Don't ask stupid questions, Audrey. It's beneath you." She spits out.

"I protected you all those years, Davina. I did everything I could to keep you safe." I argue with her.

"You made her send me away!" She yells.

"Did Nadine tell you that?" I ask her.

"No, I overheard your conversation. You were all I knew, Audrey, all I had, and you sent me away." She answered.

"I'm sorry you had to hear that but you don't understand. I was trying to protect you." I try to explain but she quickly stands up.

"Bull shit! You just wanted me out of the way so you could become the perfect little agent. If you truly wanted to protect me you would've kept me with you. Obviously you just didn't want to deal with me, that's a direct quote from you by the way." She throws in my face.

"After you sent me, your real family, away you went and made a new family with Halston and Alina. I'm your actual family, Audrey! I'm your sister! What the fuck was that? What the fuck did I ever do to you?" She yells for the final time, starting to show the tiniest bit of hurt.

"Nadine uses the people we care about most to hurt us, D. The only way I could keep you safe from her was by sending you away." I start.

"So I lied. I told her I didn't want to be around you. It killed me to send my sister away, my last family member, but I needed you to be safe. I knew Nadine would only hurt you to prove a point to me, so I got you out of there." I admit.

"Did you ever wonder what happened to me? Even for a moment?" She asks me.

"All the time." I tell her truthfully.

"I wasn't safer just because I was away, Audrey. It wasn't any better than it was at the main facility, okay? It wasn't better." She admits.

"I can understand you trying to protect me, but you only made things worse for me. You don't know what I had to go through in London. Just like I don't know what you had to go through here. We don't know each other anymore. Maybe that's for the best." She suggests.

It's like swallowing a brick but eventually I nod. "Maybe." I answer before leaving the room.

I walk right past everyone, ignoring their questioning looks.

The second I close the door to Halston's room I break down.

I haven't allowed myself to truly cry in 14 years, but now I am.

I hear the door open and feel Halston sit next to me, wrapping her arms around me.

We sit there, in the silence, holding each other, and I'm glad I have my best friend with me.

—————————————————————————-

Hey!

I wasn't exactly sure what to do with this chapter but I tried 🤷🏻‍♀️

I hope you enjoyed!