Second Chances in Ibiza (Alexia Putellas)

The season had ended and each player left for vacation. In previous off seasons you would go away with your Barca team mates before going back to Amsterdam to spend time with your family. This year however you had no intention of staying in Spain despite booking a villa in Ibiza. Now all you wanted was to go home and come to terms with what had happened in the past couple of weeks.

For once in your life, you had everything. You had a starting position, the team were on track to win everything and you finally admitted your feelings which lead you to being able to call one of the most amazing women yours. That was until the champions league final, that is when everything changed.

It didn't go the way Barca had hoped for, the pain the loss caused was like nothing you have felt before. In was in the second half, after a tough tackle, that you felt something wrong with your ankle but nonetheless you carried on not that it made any difference.

You though that you couldn't feel any worse than you did when you watched Lyon lift the trophy or when you saw Alexia on the ground sobbing. The rest of the team was fully aware of your relationship so they left their captain alone until you could make sure she was ok. You wanted nothing more than to take away the pain she was feeling and the two of you found comfort in each others arms when you stood the pitch.

When you got to the hotel you could see something was different with Alexia. You knew that she was blaming herself and there was nothing you could say to make her think otherwise despite your hardest efforts.

You sat on the bed that the two of you shared. When Jonathon said you could share a room during the trip to the final you were both over the moon as this was the first time you was allowed to do so.

"Alexia, this isn't your fault" you say for what felt like the tenth time in the past hour.

When she turned to look at you, you felt your stomach drop. The look in her eyes wasn't one you recognised and it made you uneasy.

"It is our fault" Alexia tells you with venom in her tone.

You look at her confused, this wasn't like her. She never blamed the team for the loss, let alone you specifically.

Just as you are about to respond, your girlfriend cuts you off.

"I knew when we started this" She says pointing between the two of you "that it was a risk. One that I thought was worth it but tonight showed me that it wasn't. I know that tackle injured you more than you led on and I couldn't focus on the game in the second half because I was too focused you"

"Alexia, you don't have to worry about me. I have played through injuries before in less important games. There was no way I was going to come off, I was the best defender to play tonight, injured or not"

"But I did worry and that was wrong of me. I have a job to do, a team to lead and tonight you were a distraction"

You look at Alexia in shock, how can she be saying such hurtful words without a change in breath. This is the woman that you fell in love with but in this moment you barely recognised her. You knew that you both had changed since getting together, this much was obvious. One of the reasons why you two got along so well is because you are obsessed with every aspect of the game, whether that is training, recovery or research. The time you spent at the training ground lessened, instead you would go for coffee or out for dinner. You didn't regret it though because Alexia showed you a life outside of football and that is something you never thought possible.

"Ale, that's not fair" you stand up from your place on the bed and walk towards her.

You reach out for Alexia's hand only for her to recoil from your touch.