Eyes Open (Leah Williamson)

In the 85th minute. The game was 2-0, the win was England's but Canada refused to give up.

Leah stood on the edge of the box as Kelly sent the ball in from a corner. Everyone knew that your head was the target for corners so it came as no surprise that you are very heavily marked.

The ball hit its target but it also hit the cross bar. With the ball in the air going from head to head, Kadeisha Buchanan tries to clear it with a high kick and it just so happened that you jumped for a second header at the same time.

It's as if it happened it slow motioned and Leah could do nothing but watch as the Canadian defender's boot connects with your head and with force. You fall to the ground with a thud, there was no scream of pain and your body was limb as it fell.

"Y/N" Leah quickly ran to your side.

Lucy was kneeled beside you in a matter of seconds as she tried her best to keep you conscious. It was obvious from look in your eyes or more so the lack there of which told the defender the severity of your injury.

"Keira you need to keep her away" Lucy says.

Keira hated it but she knew Lucy was right. There was a huge laceration on your head and blood was flowing out fast.

"Leah, she is bleeding and you're not good with blood. We can't have you the two of you passed out"

"She's unconscious?" Leah asks and although she didn't think it possible, the panic within her grew tenfold.

"I'll be ok. It's Y/N. I need to see her"

Keira turns to to Lucy as if asking for permission. The defender takes her shirt off so that she can cover the wound then she nods her head. Whilst Leah rushes to your side, Keira shouts for the medics to hurry up.

"Y/N" Leah's voice is barely a whisper. The way your eyes fail to focus on anything scares her. It's like your body is there but your mind isn't.

You can hear someone say your name and the voice is familiar but you can't place it. You can hear people talking and you can feel something warm falling down your face but what you feel the most of the excruciating pain in your head.

"Something's wrong" your eyes get heavy as the pain consumes you.

"What! No! Y/N keep your eyes open. Lucy what do I do?" Leah begins fearing the worse.

Lucy freezes. You are her best friend and as much as she wants to reassure your girlfriend she can't. She is frozen in the spot as she looks down at you and her once white now red shirt.

"Y/N It's Keira. I need you to keep your eyes open. Can you do that for me?"

You try to do as she asks but your eyelids are too heavy.

"Ke"

"Im here. Leah is too and Lucy. The whole team is here"

"It hurts" you try to move you hand to the source of the pain but it feels heavier than normal and then you realise that someone is holding it, that someone being Leah.

At this point the medics arrive and the team move so they can treat you but Leah, Lucy and Keira remain by your side.

When the medics ask Lucy to remove her shirt so they can access the wound Leah winces. The cut was about 4 inches long and it was deep. You would need stitches, no doubt about it.

"Keira try to keep her talking. She is going to be in a lot of pain" the medics ask.

You and Keira can talk about anything. It's one of the reasons why you are so close. From serious topics to top ten pizza toppings, yet in this moment her mind is blank.