By Your Side, Always (Alexia Putellas)

The first 45 minutes of the game you were having fun, the whole team was. Levante knew that Barcelona would make them work but tonight you and the team were putting on a world class performance. They were never a team to give up but with 7 goals scored and them not being able to find the net, they struggled to find hope and accepted their defeat. They were now fighting to keep the score at 7 and it started to get messy.

It was clear that you had been made a target by Levante's entire back line. You didn't care though, you could take it. If anything you welcomed the physically because it meant you were allowed to give them a taste of their own medicine every so often.

Alexia wished she could be on the pitch with you but she must admit it was fun being in the stand watching you play the way you were.

"She's showing off" Mapi said to no one in particular as she watched you dance around their left back even looking back and smirking to her once you sent the ball into the box.

"She's unstoppable when she's like this" your girlfriend says.

She regretted her choice of words not even a minute later. There were two defenders between you and the goal. You were determined to make it 8. That is until you get taken out by not one but two players. You felt one set of studs go into the outside of the ankle and another set on the inside. You truly had never felt pain like it.

Alexia heard your outcry of pain and could do nothing but watch as you laid on the floor clutching your ankle.

"I need you to get up. I need to go to her" Alexia stood to her feet, desperate to be by your side.

"You can't go onto the pitch" Mapi slowly got up, careful not to knock her knee.

Her warning fell on deaf ears and Alexia was already rushing towards the pitch. As expected she was stopped by Jona but she stayed near the sidelines waiting for you.

"Please get up" Alexia whispers to herself. She began to fear the worst when she sees the physio signal for a stretcher.

"We both know she's too stubborn to use it Alexia. Give her a few minutes and she'll be up" Jona pats his captain's shoulder in support.

The coach was right. It took a little longer than Alexia would have like but you are up on your feet. It's obvious that the injury is bad because you are using the teams physios as crutches so you don't put any weight on your ankle.

What is the ultimate telling sign is the way you refuse to meet Alexia's gaze when you get to the sidelines. Nevertheless she follows you into the tunnel and waits by the door of the medical room.

"Come with me, please" you have your back towards Alexia but she can hear the pain in your tone.

"I'm here"

Alexia sits on a chair beside you as the physio begins examining your ankle. At the first touch you wince and move your foot away which only makes it hurt more. He gives you a couple of minutes to compose yourself but asks to try again. Your arms hide your face as the pain becomes excruciating. The only thing stopping you from breaking completely is the soothing way Alexia is stroking her hand over your thigh.

"They're almost done. Try and breathe for me ok?"

And try you did but you also failed. It was a form of panic and you knew it.

The physios explain that they think it's major ligament damage and that they will take you for scans once you're back in Barcelona.

"I'm going to give you some space. Alexia, make sure she ices it and try to get her to stay still. Give it ten minutes then she can put the boot on and use the crutches. No weight on it, understand?"