3 - Welcome home

The sun was up, casting a warm glow over the small village of Tison. Esra slowly woke up to the scent of food being prepared. She could hear from behind the curtain of her alcove the voice of her son.

Quietly, Esra opened the curtains to be able to see them and hear them better. She saw Sinbad busy cooking, with the girl sitting on the floor not far from him, listening to his stories with rapt attention. She looked better than the day before, which relieved her.

She observed them discreetly, a grin playing on her lips. She could tell that Sinbad had distorted some parts of the stories Darius told him, exaggerating them. As her son held out a plate to the girl, she quietly chuckled as he was now completely making up epic moments for his stories.

The girl giggled while getting up and sitting at the small table in the room. She raised her head and saw Esra watching over them. With a smile, she got up again and asked Sinbad for another plate. He was surprised, but gave one to her. He followed her with his gaze while she brought the plate to the small alcove.

"Good morning, mother!" Sinbad said, noticing her behind the curtains.

"Good morning, Esra." said the girl shyly.

"Good morning you two" she replied.

As the girl approached and handed her the plate, Sinbad's mother could see that her previously frightened and pained eyes were now full of life. Her son sure had a good influence on her. 

"Thank you" Esra said.

The girl seemed about to reply when Sinbad appeared next to her, grabbed her arm and dragged her towards the exit.

"We're heading out! I'll show her around!" Sinbad beamed to his mother.

She did not even have the time to respond, they were already outside. For a moment she felt sorry for the girl who was going to have to put up with her son's overflowing energy. 

----

"Mom! We're back!"

Esra sat up in bed as Sinbad and the girl walked into the room. She had been curious about what they had been up to since she had seen them leave earlier that day.

"How was it?" Esra asked, smiling warmly at the two of them.

"It was great!" Sinbad exclaimed, grinning from ear to ear. "I showed her around Tison village and then we went to Constantia Harbor."

The girl nodded, her blue eyes lighting up as she remembered the sights they had seen.

Esra chuckled at their excitement. "I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did anything interesting happen?"

Sinbad's face lit up. "Actually, yes! Reana wanted to work to help us out, so I took her to the tavern I used to work at. The owner was happy to give her a job."

Esra raised an eyebrow in surprise. "Really? I'm so proud of you both. It's not easy to find work in these parts, but it sounds like you did a great job, Sinbad."

Sinbad grinned, pleased with the compliment. "Thanks, Mom. I knew I could count on the owner of the tavern. He owes me a favor, and I'm glad I could use it to help Reana."

Esra's eyes widened as she realized how Sinbad had called the girl, then she took Reana's hands in hers. 

"So, your name is Reana?"

The girl blushed slightly, her eyes fluttering in Sinbad's direction, and answered "I... I still don't remember anything... So Sinbad found me a name". She paused, then added quickly "I love it!"

"So you went ahead and just named someone?" Esra grinned at her son with false indignation. They all laughed. "Anyway, if you like it then I guess it's fine. Besides, it suits you very well."

Esra took one of Sinbad's hands and placed it on top of Reana's hands. He instinctively placed the other the same way. Esra looked at them tenderly. She had noticed how happy Sinbad had been since he had found the girl, and it warmed her heart to see them both enjoying each other's company. Maybe Fate had brought them together for a reason.

"Welcome home, Sinbad. Welcome home, Reana" she said softly.

A/N: This one took me a while, I was not satisfied with it until now.
Hope it's good enough now ! Enjoy !