22 - Trial

Sinbad and Reana found themselves alone on the bustling streets of Narpolia, a hint of uncertainty in the air. As they strolled silently back into the heart of the city, Reana noticed that Sinbad appeared to be lost in thought.

"We still have much to learn, right?" she said quietly, breaking the silence.

He snapped out of his reverie and nodded, offering her a warm smile. "You're right. There's still so much for us to discover."

At that very moment, their stomachs growled in unison, eliciting a shared chuckle.

"Anyway, supper first," Sinbad declared, his tone lighthearted as he casually grabbed her arm and guided her towards the nearest inn.

As they approached the inn, counting the few coins they had left, a commotion from a small crowd near a shop grabbed their attention.

"Hey! You've got some nerve to touch my merchandise here! That's stealing, you know!" the merchant yelled.

"Stealing? Me?" retorted a hooded man in the midst of the crowd. His long blonde hair and a goatee protruding from his hood gave him a mysterious appearance. "I saw a rarity and casually picked it up for a better look. That's all. You're mistaken. What is it? If money can soothe you, allow me. How much?"

The merchant seethed with anger. "Bastard! Let's see how you can keep mocking me after I break your nose!" he screamed, advancing toward the hooded man.

But Sinbad was quicker, intervening by grabbing the merchant's arm. "Stop it," he said with an air of calm authority.

"What the... a child?" the merchant said in disbelief, breaking free from Sinbad's grasp. "Mind your own business..." he sneered, only to hesitate as he observed the boy lifting one arm, suddenly unsure. "Eek! What... Whaddaya want?"

Sinbad simply placed three copper coins into the merchant's hand. "Take this as a token of apology, even though it's not much. Merchandise is the lifeline of merchants. I apologize on behalf of this man for treating your merchandise carelessly. With all my heart."

The merchant, still slightly in shock, closed his hand around the coins and huffed, "As long as you understand, that's good. What a troublesome old man."

With that, the merchant walked away, muttering under his breath about the incident and the troublesome hooded man.

Sinbad turned to the hooded stranger, asking, "Are you alright? You should be careful..."

"If money can settle it, I already said I'll pay... You get excited too easily," the man replied in a stern voice.

Reana reached them just as Sinbad gave a nervous smile, scratching his chin. "Well... We're headed this way. Bye." he said evasively.

As they turned to leave, their stomachs rumbled once again, this time loud enough for all three of them to hear.

"Sinbad... Those were our only coins, weren't they?" Reana sighed.

Sinbad didn't respond verbally but instead placed a hand on his belly awkwardly, a hint of embarrassment in his expression.

"Fufu..." the hooded man chuckled. "That's right. I must thank you."

----

The man, who introduced himself as Harun, led Sinbad and Reana to a bustling inn he frequented. The place was filled with joyful customers, and the aroma of delicious food wafted through the air. Before they knew it, they were seated around a cozy table, plates filled with delectable dishes and cups brimming with fragrant beverages.