7 - The King's Power

Sinbad and Reana were sitting on barrels while Yunan leaned against a nearby wall. Reana, with a gentle touch, carefully tended to Sinbad's wounds, her focus unwavering as she cleaned and bandaged his injuries.

"To put it simply... Partevia is... always at war with the neighboring country, Reim," Sinbad explained, his voice tinged with sadness. "All of the working men here were drafted as soldiers... But lately, it seems like they are gathering people for 'the dungeon'... Ah... The 'dungeon' is this mysterious tower that appeared in the border between Partevia and Reim."

"Yeah..." Yunan acquiesced. Reana was listening too, as she did not hear often of said dungeon.

"However, in that 'dungeon'... Over 10,000 people have challenged it, and not a single one has come back," Sinbad continued, his voice tinged with bitterness. "The people call it a 'hole of death'... Now the military is drafting people to be sent to this dungeon of death... But I can't die yet..." He clenched his teeth, the determination in his eyes shining through the pain. "For my mother's sake, for Reana's sake... And the sake of the villagers..."

Yunan, his eyes filled with concern, interjected, "There's no way to be relieved of the enlistment?"

Sinbad's response was filled with resignation. "You saw earlier, right? This is a military nation. If you resist, they'd use force. I'd be sentenced to death if I'm unlucky. The military's orders are absolute... But this is... wrong. If I enlist, I die. If I resist, I still die. The war is never ending too. This country... is done for!!"

Yunan's question pierced through the air, his voice calm yet filled with empathy. "Are you... alright with how things are...?"

Sinbad exploded with frustration, his words fueled by a deep-seated anger. "As if!! Unless this war ends and this country changes, everyone will only suffer!... But... There's nothing I can do now..." He gritted his teeth, his fists clenched in a mixture of despair and determination.

"You can do it..." Yunan started. He extended an open hand before him, a serene smile playing on his lips. It was a gesture that seemed peculiar to Sinbad, as Yunan was not facing him directly.
"If it's you, you can do it... However, right now, you lack the power... That's right... The king's power to change the world..." Yunan's words hung in the air, carrying a weight of possibility and hope.

They were both staring at the blonde man with wide eyes, but Reana had something more in her gaze. Unbeknownst to Sinbad, Yunan caught the glimmer in Reana's gaze, a knowing smile tugging at the corners of his lips, but decided to save his inquiries for a more opportune moment.

 Sinbad couldn't help but feel a mixture of confusion and intrigue as he got up and approached Yunan. "He king's power... to change the world?"

"That's right," Yunan affirmed, his smile unwavering in the face of Sinbad's skepticism.

A burst of laughter erupted from Sinbad, his disbelief evident. "Ahahaha! How did you come up with that? Yunan, you're really a funny guy. If such power exists for real, the world would be a mess with kings creating kingdoms freely..." Sinbad's laughter trailed off, noticing the shift in Yunan's expression. The blonde traveler's countenance had turned serious. "... You're joking, right?"

"What if it's true?" Yunan's smile returned, his eyes locking with Sinbad's.

Sinbad displayed a pensive expression as he contemplated Yunan's words. "But... If that power really exists... I'll take it. If I can change this world with it, I'll use that power without hesitation," he declared, his voice laced with newfound determination. Reana's gaze shifted to Sinbad, her eyes filled with a mixture of concern and admiration.

"I knew you'd say that," Yunan nodded, pointing a finger behind him. "That power is in that dungeon."

Sinbad and Reana recoiled in surprise. "So, the power that soldier mentioned, the 'power that surpasses human intelligence,' can it be...?" Sinbad's voice trailed off, anticipation filling the air.