18 - Dark Beast

Reana watched as the challengers attempted to catch Minifor, the cat-like creature that Valefor had summoned as their final trial. She observed Sinbad, who seemed to have devised a plan. He convinced the others to surround the creature, then signaled for them all to jump and grab it simultaneously. The cat predictably leaped into the air, and the purple-haired boy effortlessly snatched it from above.

"I got it!" he declared triumphantly as he landed, a grin spreading across his face. "I thought if there's nowhere to run on the ground, then it'll go for the air. Perfect, just as I had expected."

However, his victory was short-lived as the other challengers closed in on him with menacing expressions, their frustration evident.

"Ah... I knew it. You can't accept this?" Sinbad responded with an innocent expression.

"What is the meaning of this?" shouted Dragul, his voice filled with outrage.

"Sinbad!" bellowed Hinahoho, clearly disappointed in his friend's actions.

"You cheated us!!!" they echoed their grievances, their anger intensifying.
"I'll kill you..." threatened one of them.
"We actually took your word for it..."
"Unforgivable!"

Reana remained standing behind the Djinn Valefor, her heart racing with anxiety as she observed the escalating confrontation.

Sinbad's actions had clearly provoked the challengers, and they were now confronting him with anger and resentment. Valefor, the Djinn, intervened to address the situation.

"Sinbad," he began, his tone measured. "I understand how you think. I must say it was a brilliant idea to grab Minifor like that, in a way that would eliminate competition from those five. However, it's the way you did it that provoked them. Because it's like you cheated. Everyone, I understand your anger. However... Like I said at the start, no violence. Killing him breaks that rule, and you won't ever be able to leave this place if..."

"So be it!!!" erupted Hinahoho, his anger uncontainable. "We've made our decision... to face this final trial. But he exploited our resolve as a stepping-stone and snatched this opportunity from us! You've got to be kidding me! There's no way to calm our anger before we settle the score with him! Be prepared, Sinbad!"

Amidst the tension, the white-haired kid hurled a dart at Sinbad. Sinbad reacted swiftly, evading the projectile and releasing Minifor simultaneously. The assassin followed right after his dart, leaping to capture it but instead delivered a painful strike with his dart to Sinbad's side.

Reana gasped in horror as she watched the scene. Sinbad, showing remarkable resilience, retaliated by landing a punch on the kid, forcing him to retreat.

"Now you've made me get serious," the kid sneered. "I should have done this from the start."

"If I hadn't taken your bluff seriously, you'd already be done for!" Sinbad retorted, his determination unwavering. He smiled but added in a softer tone, "Too bad... I can't die here."

The kid, bruised but unyielding, responded, "Shaddup. You can't get away with this."

"No. I will live. Because there's something I must do after surviving this dungeon." He paused and added in a lower voice. "In fact, there's more than one thing, if we consider the long term," Sinbad muttered, his words revealing a hint of the hidden motivations driving him.

Minifor had meanwhile made its way to Reana, and she cradled the creature in her arms as she listened to her friend's words, wondering what he meant.

Unbeknownst to Reana, Valefor, the Djinn overseeing the trial, had been observing her closely. There was a peculiar interest in his gaze, a curiosity that went beyond the surface. Sinbad, sharp as ever, noticed this scrutiny but decided to keep it to himself for the time being.