6 - Military Service

The soft morning light filtered through the small window, casting a gentle glow in the room. Yunan slowly opened his eyes, his gaze meeting Sinbad's as the young man approached him with a cooking pot in his hands. A yawn escaped Yunan's lips as he greeted Sinbad, "Good morning~. What a fine morning, huh Sinbad~?"

Sinbad smiled at seing him still slightly groggy from sleep. "Ah, morning, Yunan!" he replied. He placed the pot on the floor and reached for a bowl, filling it with steaming soup before handing it to Yunan. "Here, breakfast."

Yunan's eyes widened with delight as he accepted the bowl. "Wah! Thanks!" he beamed, gratitude evident in his voice. He started eating his soup, and somewhat seemed puzzled by it. Nevertheless, he appreciated the gesture and enjoyed the warmth it brought to his belly.

Observing Sinbad heading towards the exit, Yunan inquired curiously, "Are you going out again, Sinbad?"

Sinbad nodded, his eyes filled with determination. "Yeah, the port is crowded in the morning, so I can find work moving crates. I need to be able to make a living. Oh, by the way, Reana is still sleeping. She still has time before her shift at the tavern, so don't make too much noise, please. What are you going to do from now on?"

Yunan paused, contemplating his next steps. "Hmm... After I take a look around the village, I'll go back to traveling."

Sinbad's supportive smile brightened. "I see! Please don't hesitate to make yourself at home! Oh, yeah... Just so you know, we don't have any valuables here, so don't try anything funny!" he playfully as he stepped out of the house.

"I would never repay your kindness that way~!" Yunan protested.

Sinbad, already halfway out, seemed to have missed Yunan's response. "Later!" he called out, his voice fading as he distanced himself from the house.

"He's not listening..." Yunan muttered to himself, a bemused expression on his face.

From behind him, a feeble voice spoke softly, "Please don't think badly of him..."

Yunan turned around to find Sinbad's mother, Esra, sitting on her bed. "Ah, Sinbad's mother! Thank you for letting me stay yesterday. It really saved me."

Esra smiled weakly, her eyes filled with warmth. "Not at all... We don't have much, but we can't ignore someone in need," she replied, her voice tinged with a light laugh as she placed a hand delicately in front of her mouth.

Suddenly, her laughter turned into a fit of coughing, causing Yunan to jump to his feet. Reacting swiftly, he grabbed the nearby water jar and brought it to her. "Are you alright...?"

"Thank you... It's calmed down," Esra replied, her voice still a little shaky. "It's no good... Making our visitor worry. Ever since I've collapsed because of my illness, I've done nothing but make that boy worry... I'm thankful Reana appeared in his life. She is able to take his mind off his problems... He seems brighter thanks to her." Her gaze shifted to the sleeping Reana, a tender smile gracing her lips.

Yunan's worry was evident in his voice as he spoke softly, "I heard from Sinbad... It's a disease that, without medicine, you could die any day..."

A hint of sadness flickered in Esra's eyes, but she maintained a serene composure. "Yes... He's been working hard for my sake. He's a nice boy... Just like his father. He's already passed away, but he always used to say that Sinbad is 'gifted' with an innate disposition."

Yunan's surprise was evident as he asked, "A gifted... disposition?"

Esra nodded, her voice filled with a mix of nostalgia and affection. "It might have just been us being doting parents, but I too feel... he's a special boy. He's someone who has some kind of special ability... Special as he is... because of me, he's tied down to this village... It makes me a bit depressed... He even met someone special to him who could accompany him, but..."