21 - First Time Trading

As the morning sun painted the sky with shades of amber and gold, the group prepared to leave the Imuchakk village. Their journey was to continue on an impressive Imuchakk boat, a vessel that dwarfed most other ships with its sheer size and imposing structure.

Rurumu, having taken on the role of their teacher and mentor, stood before Sinbad, Reana, and Ja'far. They were lined up in front of her, wooden boxes serving as their tables for a makeshift classroom.

"Pleased to make your acquaintance," Ja'far began, his tone a complete departure from his usual demeanor. "I am called 'Ja'far,' a trader as well. It would be our pleasure if you find our merchandise suitable for your store."

Sinbad and Reana turned their heads towards him, their expressions a blend of shock and amusement. This was certainly a side of Ja'far that they hadn't expected to see – one of formal politeness and respect.

Ja'far, however, couldn't keep up the act any longer. His lips curled into a scowl, and he voiced his inner protest. "Like this?" he asked, slamming his fist down on the wooden box before him. "I'm gonna puke!" He huffed and muttered, "Like hell will I talk this way! You hag!"

Rurumu, unfazed by Ja'far's outburst, responded in her usual calm and measured tone. "Hag?"

She then delivered a swift but not-too-forceful chop to the top of Ja'far's head. Sinbad and Reana exchanged a glance, silently acknowledging the lesson learned. They quickly returned their attention to the wooden boxes and continued their writing exercises.

Rurumu addressed the kid sternly, using the moment as a teaching opportunity. "Ja'far, haven't I told you over and over again? You shouldn't use foul language like that. Address a woman senior as ma'am or mistress. Please refrain from using indecent vocabulary. Am I making myself clear? From now on, we are part of the crew of Lord Sinbad's fleet. A fleet certified by Imuchakk. Sinbad is our Lord. We vassals should never do anything that stains the Lord's reputation. Speech is the root of etiquette. Therefore, the choice of words is the most important. Everything we say and do affects how people trust our Lord."

As their journey continued, Rurumu offered comprehensive lessons in various subjects: general education, culture, geography, social studies, mathematics, and reading and writing. Sinbad and Ja'far found the experience to be quite challenging, while Reana seemed to take to her studies with ease, her innate aptitude shining through.

One day, during a brief moment of respite, the group engaged in casual conversation. As Sinbad observed Reana's comfort with the subjects, he couldn't help but comment, "You know, seeing how easy it is for you, don't you think you already knew all of this? Maybe... maybe you were born into some kind of noble family."

Reana, thoughtful and introspective, gazed into the distance. "Maybe you're right, Sin. I still don't remember anything," she admitted.

Ja'far, who had been listening to their conversation, offered his perspective. "But if that's the case, don't you think they may be searching for her?" he asked.

Reana's posture tensed. "I... I don't think I want to return to a life I don't know about... to relatives I don't remember. As far as I'm concerned, my family is here," she declared, her smile reflecting the deep affection she held for her companions.

Ja'far seemed surprised at her words, and as she noticed it, she closed in and hugged him.

"Wha-" he said, embarassed.

Reana chuckled warmly, her voice a soothing presence. "I'm talking about you too, Ja'far. You see... you're like a little brother to me."

Ja'far's surprise deepened at her words, and he seemed at a loss for how to react. The notion of having a family, even a chosen one, was a comforting thought that warmed his heart.