Chapter 11: What Happened?

Training for the first month the ways of a Metkayina isn't as tough as it will be for the next two months that will come. Well, that's what Ao'nung thought. Perhaps because he's used to it, and this is the basics for kids to learn in this clan - well, babies actually. 

They're raised since the second they're born to handle being in water, to breathe and kick in their instincts to swim. It's part of their life. Their way of being, all being connected to the sea.

But from an outside perspective, Ao'nung can understand if it's something not easy to master if it's not taught at a young age. The Omaticaya rarely focus on swimming, only to teach the basics on survival in water, but not as in depth as the Metkayina do. The water for the metkayina is like the forest for the Omaticaya - meaning they're raised in the forest, trained at young age to do things Ao'nung was taught to do in three months.

It was difficult, and there were multiple times where Ao'nung felt like a useless piece of shit, but he got through it because he had a good teacher.

That's why Ao'nung can understand if an outsider can't adjust so quickly to the water, even as an adult.

However, that's something Ao'nung isn't too worried about with Neteyam, since he already has given him a few sessions on the matter before leaving; mainly breathing exercise because that's the most important thing to master to get through this training - everything else should come to him easier.

Now it's to continue practicing on that.

Luckily for Ao'nung, Neteyam is disciplined aside from being a bit trained already.

Wherever he is, his routine never changes.

When Ao'nung woke up early and went to get him to start their training, Neteyam was just returning back from running along the sand line of the beach - familiarizing himself with the island. That's the thing with Neteyam, he's independent and too attentive - perhaps a bit paranoid too. He is the type of person that needs to know his surroundings; see everything, feel everything, and in some way know what to expect. That's why he took it upon himself - since he already wakes up early - to go for a run to map out the island well. 

From the beach, woods, observing the reef from afar - he breathes it in, note it all down in his head in perfect memorization.

So, when it came to Ao'nung fetching him, he'll know where things are and won't be following like a lost viperwolf.

Neteyam is a warrior in his clan, so of course he has himself at a high standard.

And Ao'nung will make sure he keeps it up there too.

That's why they started off their training with Ao'nung showing Neteyam where they keep their equipment to put on their skimwing, right before pushing Neteyam off the ledge into the deep waters of the sea - testing his instincts.

Ao'nung watches with arms crossed from the edge as Neteyam swam to the surface in seconds, gasping with a murderous glare up to Ao'nung.

Aw, he doesn't look happy.

"You could've warned me!"

"If someone wanted to kill you, will they warn you before doing so?" Ao'nung asks back, crouching down, "Today's part of training is testing what your skills so I can know the areas to help you focus on. From swimming, diving, holding your breath, hunting, and riding an ilu to start off-"

"You said warriors ride Skimwing," Neteyam signs, his gaze heavy, "Don't go easy on me."

Ao'nung looks at him silently, biting back the urge to not smirk, nodding to himself and stands upright, "Your test starts now."