Chapter 13: Ta'unui Clan

"I'm going to physical scream right now."

Ao'nung turns to look at Rotxo, who's laying on his skimwing while watching Lo'ak and Tuk do laps from the reef and back to where he is by the beach, just as a training exercise for them to get used to the ilu in a more competitive environment.

And he looks anything but happy.

"Why?"

Rotxo side eyed Ao'nung, evidently glaring at him, "I rarely ever see Kiri anymore! The last time I saw her was two days ago! What if she goes through next month's training with everyone else struggling or -"

"Rotxo, did you forget she's also training with my sister?" Ao'nung snorts umbfoundedly, just as Neteyam returns from doing a smooth glide with his skimwing - adjusting well to it by this point, "Tsireya will definitely make her ready for next month."

Still not convinced, Rotxo groans to himself, staring back to where Tuk and Lo'ak are now heading back to him from the reef, "I just... I'm feeling anxious okay. Time is catching up, soon enough you're going to be married to her and - I'll.... I'll lose her man."

Neteyam subtly stares at him, deciding on not sliding into this conversation, but then he glances to Ao'nung - seeing what he's going to say to his best friend.

Ao'nung frowns at him, but then tries to play it off with him to not stress it, "Can't lose what you don't have. Have you even told her how you felt -"

"We have our moments," Rotxo retorts back, glancing to the water while twirling his finger on the surface, "We both just... Know it can't happen."

"But what if it can?"

Rotxo snaps his attention to him now, clearly confused and agitated, "Are you dumb? Did you forget that you're marrying her -"

"We're married, but not mated for life. It's just a title to keep the clans together, like a partnership or business thing," Ao'nung tells him, more so gaslighting himself but it's working, "Kiri doesn't like me dude, she obviously has a thing for you. So, who knows, you could try to still see her even if we do have the title."

Now Rotxo rolls his eyes, splashing him with water, "It's going to make me sound like her lover or mistress. It's just not right, especially if we get caught."

"Well do you have any better ideas?" Ao'nung retorts back, arms crossed, "You know, I'm about to sit down with her to have this conversation. Talking to you stresses me out."

"You know what -"

"Did you see that guys!" Tuk suddenly shoots up from the water, smiling so brightly that undoubtably the sun's even jealous of it, "I made it faster than yesterday!"

Awkwardly Ao'nung and Rotxo smiled at her, since they clearly weren't paying attention, except for her dear brother Neteyam - who gave her an enthusiastic thumb up to her.

Leave it to him to always motivate his siblings.

Lo'ak made it to the surface moments later, gasping to himself for air, "This ilu went so fucking fast, I almost flew off again."

An ilu fast?

Neteyam tilts his head to the side, teasing, "Want to try this instead -"

"I'm good."

The rest of the afternoon went in this same route with them mainly working on their skimwing or ilu to feel fully comfortable with them, all the way until finally Rotxo's wishes were granted when Tsireya and Kiri ended up joining them not too long before Ao'nung and Neteyam moved on from this training to their usual sessions.