Heart Break/Distance

Chapter 9: "Heart Break/Distance"

[Y/N POV]

I sat against the door, motionless. Honestly, I had no idea how long I had been stuck in my position. Everything was a blur there for a while, but I seemed to calm down. My breathing was steady, and I could feel my heartbeat pump with a natural rhythm that kept me alive. My eyes, though, weighed heavy on my face, causing my entire body to feel weighted down.

As I sat there, I wasn't thinking anything. Instead, I was just a husk that was miraculously alive. My butt was aching on the hard wooden floor, the soft bed within my sight. It was time to move.

I got up with a pained grunt, fighting the strong force that wanted to keep me on the ground. Without hesitation, I turned off the light and removed my pants before slowly climbing into the bed. Before anything, I opened my messages app to text Akali.

I stared at her last text: a monster hunter gif. It made me laugh at the moment, but now it only made me feel sick. I quickly sent a text asking her to pick up dinner as there was no way in hell I had the capacity to do pretty much anything. With a press of the send button, I slid my phone under the pillow and climbed in.

The blankets covered me in much-needed warmth, and the darkness allowed me to fall into my loathing completely.

Everything hurt.

The past month was nothing but an act for them. Something so real to me was nothing but a game to them.

I wanted to say that I expected this from Ahri or Evelynn, but I won't lie to myself. I didn't. In the beginning, maybe, but I felt I had begun building a real bond with the two. That was enough for me to trust them. That was my mistake, I guess.

Akali was someone who I felt was so close to my friends in true damage. Honestly, out of all of them, Akali was the one I found the hardest to swallow. Even with hindsight, it was hard for me to imagine that she was trying to deceive me. But, the first night we played games together proved to me she was a part of this. She was touchy with me as we tried to play 'It Takes Two.' I didn't think much of it at the time, I just assumed that's how all the idols were. Now, the puzzle pieces connected, and everything seemed more clear.

Kai'Sa hurt me the most. The promise she made me the first day we met, the massive amount of time we spent together... what happened today. It was all a deception. She made me feel things I had never felt before, but now those feelings I had become so encapsulated by twisted into a cruel pain.

The thought of them made my entire soul ache, but they weren't the primary cause of my distress. The biggest factor in the whole thing was myself.

I thought that I had made progress. I believed that I had taken steps forward to change myself. That was all a lie. Every step that I took was only an orchestrated plan by my employers. That is what truly hurt the most.

Through this pain, the rose-colored glasses had been ripped from my eyes, and I could take an objective look at my time with the idols. Of course, so many deceptions became clear, but more than that, I realized... They were terrifying.

Evelynn grabbing me too hard in the pool and Ahri's rash outbursts. I mean, she tried to kill me. It was one thing when I thought she was genuinely upset about our lack of time together, but to find out that it was over a damaged ego?

But, no. The fact of the matter is that she was ready to kill me. I was too dumb to see how that should never be okay, no matter the reason.

So much emotion flooded through my body—sadness, anger, regret, confusion. The most predominant emotion was sadness, obviously. But I also clearly felt anger. Anger towards the idols for what they had done.