The Backstory (Orphanage)

__________

VetoDimension

________

"Well, long ago, when I was a little kid, an 8 year-old, Planeptune, at the time, was at war with another Nation."

---

(Italics indicates that IF's voice is narrating the story.)

(And the Bold is like some sort of flashback of her memories.)

"And during that war, many people became homeless or parentless."

Tears streamed down on IF's face as she stood in her living room. The air was thick with the stench of grief and loss, and the only sound that could be heard was the soft, pitiful whimpering of the heartbroken girl.

Clutching a cheap, outdated keypad phone in her trembling hands, IF thought back to the day her father had given it to her. It had been the last gift he had ever given before being sent off to a faraway place, and she had cherished it ever since. But now, as she tried to dial his number, she knew that there would be no answer.

"I was categorized in the latter part, though. My mom died when I was just a toddler, and the one who took care of me up to that point was my father- but he died because of the war, you see.

Actually, many kids become homeless after being kicked out of their previous homes because of poverty or something. Including me and some of my neighbors. I think some were actually abandoned because of financial trouble."

With trembling hands and tears streaming down her dirt-streaked face, the little brunette crouched behind a pile of garbage, her heart pounding in her chest as she watched the adults abandon their own flesh and blood without a second thought.

Some of the parents were crying uncontrollably, their big, fat tears falling to the ground as they clung desperately to their children, unwilling to let them go. But others, their faces twisted into cruel sneers, left their little ones behind without even a backward glance, callously severing the bond between parent and child.

---

I sighed a bit at the memory before looking at all the CPU's in the room, only to see them with mixed reactions.

Seeing how distraught they were... Heh, really, CPUs are too softhearted.

I just wish people back then could see how they messed up.

---

"So many of us started to live in some alleyways and streets... We all became a group family, and our new life began.

Day-in and day-out. We used to beg for scraps and steal for a living.. Everything was on repeat; on some days some of us would go missing or some.. would die, but that was life. In that stage, we accepted that no one would help us in our plight and just deal with it- that was our thought at the time.. Well, that was, until, one day, I stole from a goddess."