Chapter 14

Chrissy

My mind is filled with a multitude of thoughts that all lead back to one broken word whispered throughout my head. Miles.

"So are we still trusting him?" Eric questions me. A frown has formed on his devilishly handsome face.

"I trust him," I inform him.

"You're too trusting," he mumbles under his breath. I huff, but I start to question if I am in fact too trusting myself. He's not wrong in a way, nearly anyone who comes up to me and has been kind I've instantly liked but I just can't help myself. Until someone proves overwise I'm going to trust them, if that means I'm too trusting then so be it.

We leave the security room and head back to the science block, Miles runs through my head the whole time.

Miles stares at me with a heartbroken expression on his face.

"Who did that to you, Chrissy?" He asked me.

I look down at where he's staring. My t-shirt had ridden up and my stomach sporting a bruise was revealed to him.

"No one." I lied.

"Who?" He asks again.

I snapped out of a memory by shouting, "who's there!"

A man in a police uniform stands at the end of the hall.

We run, flying towards the science room. Eric slams the door shut behind us as I scramble through the window. I fall flat onto the mud and scramble up.

Eric is halfway through the window. His leg has a hand wrapped around it. "You're in big trouble, boy," the policeman says to him.

"Run," Eric mouths.

Then he yanks his leg and breaks through the window running to my side. We take off again, the policeman right on our tail as we reach the car.

Eric starts it with efficiency I didn't know was possible before we drive off and away from the man still trying and failing to chase after him on foot.

"That was way too close," Eric tells me.

"We are not breaking into anywhere any time soon," I inform him, strictly.

Eric:

"How did you get here?" I ask as we drive away.

"I walked," she shrugged with nonchalance.

Shock courses through me, "you shouldn't walk alone at this time of night." I audibly shout.

She rolls her eyes and crosses her arms childishly. "It's not that dangerous."

"When you lost your memories, did you lose some brain cells too?" The sentence is out before I can think it over. I brace myself for a tongue-lashing. Instead, I get a soft giggle, it's cute and bubbly.

I snap my head towards her, "that's mean." She smiles.

We pull up a street away from Chrissy's, she told me she didn't want her parents to know she was out so late.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" She asks.

"Yeah," I smile.

***

Waking up for school the next day is exactly like the day before. I don't feel angry at getting out of the house and I'm, actually excited about football. I'm going to put in the effort.

I'd be damned if I let Nathan have my spot as quarterback willingly.

Chrissy sits with Ella and Daniel. I join them.

"I think we should confront Alisha," I whisper in Chrissy's ear.

"Is that a good idea?" She asks me, a pout transforming her face.

"Yeah, we want to know why she's helping us right," I inform her. Ever since I decided to help her I keep accidentally saying we. Like me and her are a team again.

I know we're not. I've forgiven her yes. But she still cheated on me, that happened, I can't forget it. Even if I kind of want to be her friend.

I grab her hand and take her over to Alisha. I hear Daniel shout out behind us, "Eric gonna get some!"

Before the sound of Ellla smacking him is heard. I smirk. Chrissy blushes.

"Alisha we need to talk, now," I inform her as we reach her table. Alisha rolls her eyes, but seeing my stern face she tells the girls surrounding her to, "scram."

They all run off to another table close by if Alisha wants to call them back. Pathetic.

We both sit down opposite her. "We know it was you," Chrissy tells her.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Alisha hesitantly answers.

"Quit it, Alisha. Why'd you do it? Is Miles actually a friend of Chrissy's? Is this some sick joke?" I snap.

Alisha gulps and hangs her head low, "Ugh." She growls before looking back up and admitting.

"Before Chrissy was in her car accident me and Nathan blackmailed her into kissing him. I filmed it all and that's how you saw it. I don't know what Nathan blackmailed you with but you were such good friends with Miles I just assumed he knew."

"Why?" Chrissy whispers.

"We both got paid for doing it. And I got the bonus of Eric because I stupidly thought it would make him want me," She scoffs at herself. "Anyway, I always felt bad so I thought I'd do something to make it up to you."

"Miles didn't mention anything to me," Chrissy tells us both.

"Well, when I talked to him he seemed to know something?" Alisha frowns.

"You know we're going to talk to him Saturday. You can come if you want?" Chrissy smiles.

This girl. Does she not understand how naive she's being in trusting everyone around her?

"Fine, I guess I kind of owe you." Alisha half smiles back.