Chapter 19

Chrissy:

My dad is laughing at me maliciously.

"What did you do to her?" I cry looking down at my mum who's passed out on the floor.

"She's alive," he says then changes the topic like it doesn't matter that his wife is knocked out on the floor.

"Sit," my dad urges.

"We need to take her to the hospital!" I panic.

"Don't you think one hospital trip per day is enough, sweetheart?"

The term of endearment makes me flinch. I don't remember why.

"What?" All the oxygen exspells out of my body.

"You know, I really thought we could be happy. I thought losing your memories was the key." He rambles, "Obviously I was wrong. Obviously, I should've run with you while I had the chance."

I whimper from the confusion that wracks through my body.

"When I ran you off the road I should have made you keep running." He finally growls.

"What?" I ask him.

"Your mum took you away from me! Your mum and brother ran away with you and left me! I did everything for you people. Everything. I married your mum when she became pregnant." He rambles on as I slowly back away, "I even came and found you again. But it was too late. Your mum confused you, made me the villain. So I had to make you forget."

"I had to!" He cries.

Pain coats my vision. "How?"

"I crashed into your car. I didn't know it was going to make you forget at the time but it did. And then I told your brother and mum I'd kill you if they tried anything." He's getting angry now.

"I got rid of your brother by sending him to university. But your mum had fuck every up again," he then kicks her lifeless body.

A scream rips through the earth. My scream.

"Shut up!" He shouts at me.

"No," I refuse, "Your my dad. Why would ou hurt me."

"I had no choice." He argues.

I shake my head.

"I have no choice," says again. Before reaching for something behind his back.

A gun.

"Please. . . Don't!" I protest.

But I don't. I'm to scared to say anything, and as the broken memories of my father floods through I realise I will get my memories back. One day at a time. I will see the next day assure myself.

And as my resolve to live hits so does Erics body into my dad. Eric skillfully tackles him to the ground.

The gun fires.

I watch it fly towards me as Eric's fist smashes into my dads head.

Eric:

I continue to force chrissy's dad to the ground. My whole body feels like I'm underwater, drowning from my rage, and I'm painfully aware of the gunshot that flew out of his gun only a few seconds prior.

I look towards where Chrissy stood whilst I was charging through the backdoor, she's not standing. Instead she's sitting down and holding the very side of her waist. Before I can register all the blood the police barge in.

I raise my hand and slowly get off of Chrissy's dad so the police can quickly handcuff him.

I run over to Chrissy and hold her face. Whilst running my eyes over her body to know how many wounds she has.
I can only find one.

"The bullet grazed me." She whispers.

I stare into her eyes. She's hurt, tired and sad. And I want to be there while she recovers, she leans into me and so gently presses her lips to mine.

"Thank you," she says.

And in my head I thank everything and anything that has allowed her to stay here with me.

Even if she will never be able to remember her past I will make sure her future is beautiful.