Chapter 18

Chrissy

On the way back to the car I go over the limited information given in the report on the reasons for my injury. Miles talks about how amazing he was at distracting a really hot nurse.

Once everyone has been dropped off at their houses Eric drops me off in my driveway. "See you Monday," he says to me.

I nod.

I get to the door before he drives off down the street.

The house is eerily quiet seeing as my mum is meant to be home all day; no music is playing.

"Mum," I shout, "I'm home."

I'm not too sure what I'm going to tell her, or if we're even going to talk. Maybe she left to think?

"Come in here," My dads' voice calls out.

"Okay?" I question, a sinking feeling in my gut.

My mum sits at the table Hands in front of her, looking very stressed.

"I'll cut to the chase," Dad starts, "I overheard you two this morning."

"What?" I gulp.

"Did you really think you could talk about anything in my house without me finding out," my dad says while grinding his teeth.

"Please, just not in front of Chrissy," my mum pleads.

"Oh no you lost your right to make decisions about Chrissy," Dad growls.

"And you never had a right to begin with!" Mum cries out, leaping up from her chair and attacking my dad.

"You bitch," my dad states, overcome by rage. "I should have taken Chrissy when I had the chance."

"Chrissy, go to your room!" Mum orders as she angles her head to face me. "Now!" She demands.

I shake my head but decide that this should in fact be dealt with in private. Solemnly I slowly make my way upstairs, my vision is blurry like my hope for things working out.

And I call the first person that comes to mind.

"Eric," I whisper into the dark, not bothered to turn my light on.

"Chrissy? What's wrong?" He panicked.

"It's my dad. He knows. And I think my parents are going to hurt each other." I cry.

I hear screaming from downstairs. "You never loved me!"

"And you hurt our family!" My mum screams back at my dad making me confused.

"You ran away from me. From us." My dad replies.

"There was and will never be a us," my mum screams. "You knocked me up while I was drunk and then forced me to marry you!"

"Chrissy, I'm coming back," Eric informs me. "That sounds bad and I want to get you out of there."

"What do you think my dad means when he says she ran away from him?" I ask.

"I don't know Chrissy. Your dad just got out of the army, it doesn't really make sense," Eric replies.

"My dad was in the army?" I ask again.

"You didn't know?"

Eric

I ask Chrissy, confused on why her parents never told her that.

Chrissy's family never hid it from the town and even though the dad came back it still was a known fact, so why didn't they bother to tell Chrissy?

I shake my head as I run out of my house and back into my car that I'd just gotten out of. It's a twenty minute drive to her house and Chrissy seems really worked up.

I put my phone on speaker and set it up so it doesn't fall. Then I start to back up so I can race down my street.

The sound of breaking glass rattles through the speakers and I put my foot on the excelerator.

"Chrissy, what's happening?" I ask her.

"I don't know but everything's silent." She tells me.

"Chrissy, if you want your mum to live, come down." Her dad yells.

Shit.