Shot Descendant

"And after I won the challenge, obviously." He gestured to his home. "I asked her to be my mate... she rejected me at first." You were beginning to run out of water to sip on. "And the next few times I asked, it wasn't until one night she changed her mind. You could tell by the air around her something in her mind had changed." He swallowed hard on nothing, that reflection of tears coming back to his eyes. "That night was wonderful, the stars were shooting and we were just two Na'vi loving each other's company." Something in his mind was wandering and it was becoming difficult to talk. "She actually proposed to me, that beautiful night." Maybe you needed to shift the subject back to his daughter? He was rubbing his hand across the bottom of his face. "She never told me what changed her mind."

You were going to switch the subject but your mouth didn't move at those words. "Ìyä was..." Ku'uu was looking over at the hammocks. "Ìyä and Awuu knew what had changed, my little Awuu loved teasing me about it." It looked like he had pulled himself back but you didn't know if you were fully in the clear yet. At worst you'd make him cry, which was pretty bad and seemed like a very probable outcome. "My little Awuu," Ku'uu's eyes were brimming with tears yet not one fell. "She was robbed, of the rest of her life." You set your drink down and placed your hand out to him. He flashed a smile at your reach of condolence.

"Her mate has no one else either, he won't come to me, won't even see me as his grief is too heavy." You didn't know what else to do but listen and let him tell you everything. "I just, I just wished I would've been able to heal her." His voice was breaking and his emotions were starting to build. "She came home to be healed and we could do nothing, I couldn't do anything." His breathing was shaking and a tear fell. "I am one of the best healers in our village, I've taken care of Ìyä and Awuu's injuries my whole life." You grabbed his cups from his shaking hands feeling his helplessness. "She came home. She came home for me to heal her, my little girl." He was starting to sob. "And she died, right in my arms, my little girl died." He wiped his tears away only for more to fall right back.

"I'd never seen an injury like that, it was like she'd been hit with a weapon of powerful force. It was destructive." He slumped in his spot. "It destroyed her." His eyes spoke of pain to you and your lip started to quiver, her death didn't sound peaceful. "We later found out they'd been protecting a pack of Tulkun from a demon ship." His bitterness was breathing through. "She died of their metal weapons, weapons we could not fathom the powers of." His mouth quivered up an anger letting itself out. "Ku'uu..." You'd let him say what he needed to, it was good for him to talk about it, but you weren't about to let him go into hysterics. "I'm sure you did everything you could for her." He shook his head.

"No, I could've done more, if I had gone south I could've learned about these injuries." Your attempt to try and comfort him was only effective in the sense he seemed to be calming down. "This wasn't the first incident Na'vi had died from those types of wounds. There was a similar accident, the only survivor there was Payakan." Payakan? You thought back to everything you knew about the Tulkun, all that came to mind was that he was a killer. "If I had just gone to study their wounds before they were laid to rest I could've helped her." His body was tense and he was trying to compose himself. "I could have stopped her bleeding, offered her some comfort, anything for my little girl."

Ku'uu rubbed his temple, losing himself in his grief, your heart was moved by his openness. "The greatest comfort you could have given her was letting her see you as she passed." He met your eyes and a glimmer of healing shone. "I hope you know that Ku'uu." He sniffled and pursed his lips, looking over at the empty hammocks. "I miss her, I miss my mate." He was calming down, breathing deeply. "I miss them both so much, I just don't know what to do with myself. I'm just wafting around, I don't heal anyone." He was shaking his head, you had grabbed his hand at one point and you were giving him a light squeeze. "I don't go out, I barely even live, Ìyä would've been so disappointed in me now." You inched closer to Ku'uu giving words of ease. "No, I don't think so. Grieving a loved one is hard and you have to grieve for two. I think she would be proud." You felt as though you broke him again as he sobbed. You didn't say another word, nervous you'd break him further. All you could do as he wailed was offer a comforting hand. You were there lending a helping hand to an old Na'vi who needed someone.