Chapter 2: Childhood Recollection

Vaniville Town

Serena stood still, rooted to her spot, absolutely dumbfounded at the sight of her mother's other guests. She could feel all eyes on her, including those of Ash, Clemont, Bonnie, Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor, but she didn't care the slightest. It had been years since she last saw any of them in person, and now they were standing in the middle of her kitchen?! This was just too good for her to believe!

"Calem?" she asked incredulously.

The teenage boy gave her a toothy grin. "Hey, cuz," he said as he stretched out his arms. "Long time, no see!"

"Oh, my Arceus!" The honey-blonde Performer was quick to envelop him in a tight hug. "I can't believe you're here!" She then broke the hug and looked at the other people in the kitchen, immediately recognizing them as well. "Auntie Layla?! Uncle Moose?! You guys are here too?!"

"Well, of course, Serena," the man replied. "Your mother called and told us about what you've been doing as a Pokémon Performer, and..."

"We thought it'd be appropriate to travel over to Kalos and celebrate this occasion!" completed the woman. With the last three words, she gestured to the kitchen table, which was holding an eloquent-looking chocolate cake with the words 'TO OUR BELOVED KALOS QUEEN' frosted on it with red icing.

"Wow!" Serena exclaimed, her eyes shimmering with emotion at the sight of the wonderful cake. "You guys... I can't believe you did this for me..."

"Anything for you, Serena!" Shauna exclaimed, smiling from cheek to cheek. "It was actually all your mother's idea."

"We're all so proud of you, honey," Grace said warmly. The teenage girl didn't waste any time in giving her mother a hug, which Grace reciprocated.

Once the hug was done, Clemont stepped beside Serena and asked, "These people are your relatives, Serena?"

"Yeah," Serena replied, still in awe at the surprise reunion. "Yeah, they are..."

"Awesome!" Ash cried. He pointed to himself with his thumb. "My name is Ash Ketchum! And this is my partner Pikachu!"

"Pikachu!" greeted Pikachu.

"It's so great to meet you all. Anyone who's a friend or family member of my friend is a friend of mine!"

"I'm Clemont," said Clemont, bowing his head. "Pleased to meet you."

"I'm Bonnie," Bonnie greeted before gesturing to Dedenne and Squishy. "And these here are Dedenne and Squishy!"

"Dedenne!" Dedenne greeted, while Squishy just chirped strangely again.

"Nice to meet you all!" Layla said, smiling serenely. She stood up from her wooden chair, and at that moment, Serena, Ash, Pikachu, Clemont, and Bonnie noticed the bulge on her abdomen. "I'm Layla, Grace's sister, and that's my husband Moose." Moose waved at the group.

"And I'm Calem," added Calem, gesturing to himself. "Serena's cousin."

"Second cousin, actually," Grace clarified.

"Well, I'm the closest cousin Serena's got, so there's no need for that, Auntie Grace!"

"Wait a minute, you said your name was Ash Ketchum?" Moose asked suddenly, looking at the raven-haired Trainer. When Ash nodded in affirmative, Moose stood up from his own chair; at that moment, Ash felt like he recognized him from somewhere else. "Oh my goodness, who would've thunk it?! It is you!"