Chapter 18: Some Soul-Searching and Pokémon Rescuing

A/N: Hey, everyone! This will be the chapter where Serena competes in her Theme Performance alongside Amelia and Sara Lee! So expect some rivalry and drama ahead! Also, expect some AmourShipping moments at the end! ;D

ENJOY!

.

.

.

Nick and Sons Oil and Construction Company
Pauvre Avenue, southeastern Kiloude City

Parker stepped out of the van and felt his feet hit hard dirt. At first, he was greeted with a strip of land so barren that it awkwardly stood out from the rest of its green, natural surroundings. Then, he watched his newfound compatriots step out of the van as well and head towards...a dilapidated, seemingly abandoned petroleum field.

Eyes widening with shock and revulsion, Parker tapped Nick's shoulder as the rotund man passed him.

"E-Excuse me," he said hesitantly, "but...what is this place...?"

"Huh?" Nick looked at the petroleum field and then smiled lovingly. "My life's work."

"I see. But...what is this place?"

"Nick and Sons Oil and Construction Company, of course! Kiloude City's leading supplier of oil and gas! And also its top-rated construction company!"

"Leading supplier of oil and gas?" repeated a blue-haired man, whose name Parker remembered as Floyd. "HA! Nick, the last time we extracted petroleum from this dump was over a year ago, and it was only in a couple of drops!"

"Yeah, man," added a red-haired man, Floyd's twin Lloyd. "And we were paid two dimes for that hard work."

"And let's not forget, no one needs gasoline anymore! Everyone walks nowadays!"

"And...top-rated construction company? Really, Nick?" Lloyd shook his head. "We only have one client, and his name is Adam Glazing!"

"Oh, come on, guys!" Nick exclaimed, grinning from ear to ear. "It doesn't hurt to be optimistic!"

"Optimism can only get you so far, Nick," commented a serious periwinkle-haired man wearing an eyepatch. Sid, Parker believed the name was. "There comes a time when we must face the reality of the situation."

"Yeah," Floyd replied, "and the reality of the situation is that we're all a bunch of losers who can't get anywhere in life!"

But Nick's smile widened. "Not anymore!" he exclaimed. He then patted Parker's shoulder, causing the normally serious Pokémon poacher to grimace. "We've got this guy on our side! Once we're done helping him, and once he's done helping Adam, we'll be rich, rich beyond our wildest imaginations! Nick and Sons will be at the top of the food chain now and no one will be any wiser!"

"We can't hold onto a single penny even if our lives depended on it!" Lloyd snapped loudly.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, Nick's got a point, you guys," replied the only woman in the group, a cinnabar-haired one named Cecile. "Unlike all of us, this Parker guy's a professional and we need an actual pro in our fold. Who knows what kinds of awesomeness he can bring to the table? Now, let's all just settle down and get our bearings together while we wait for Adam to call with our next instructions. Then we'll see about our chances..." She then looked at Parker. "For now, let's give our guest something to eat and a bed to sleep in. Maybe he can watch that Exhibition Showcase thingy with us."