10. B-day Besties

I wake up with a headache from drinking last night so I go into my bathroom and take an Advil. I don't need a shower right now so I get changed and go downstairs.

I see balloons. Right. Belly's birthday. A month ago, this is the day before my mom died. Wow, what a great day.

I walk into the kitchen and sit next to Conrad at the island or bar area. "How aren't you dying from a headache?" He asks.

"Took an Advil. It kicked in pretty fast." I say. Conrad nods and I grab an Advil out of my pocket and slide it to him. "Figured you'd need it." I say.

"Thanks." He says. He takes the pill and slides me a bowl of cereal.

"I'm not really a breakfast person." I say. Then my stomach grumbles.

"Well too bad." Conrad says. "Eat." He says. I nod and he makes sure that I eat all of my cereal.

"Hey guys!" Belly says. She walks into the kitchen in some flowery dress with a smile on her face. Everyone wishes her a happy birthday and gives her a hug. I stay where I am.

"Happy Birthday, Belly." I say.

"I'm almost finished with your Mickey Mouse pancakes." Laura says.

"Actually, I'm not that hungry." Belly says. The room goes silent.

"That fine! We can open gifts." Susannah says.

We all go sit in the living room and watch Belly open her gifts. Laura gets her some lame old books. Belly reads some poem and then I give her my gift. I got her some candy from the dollar store because I had 10 bucks to spend.

"Thanks." Belly says.

"Open mine, Belly." Susannah says. She hands Belly a present and Belly opens it. It's a pearl necklace. Susannah talks about how they were her moms pearls and stuff. Cool I guess.

Jeremiah gives Belly a gift, it's a good luck charm. Belly puts it on her bracelet. Then Steven throws a gift at her. It's a Princeton crewneck.

"Wow, Steven, I can't believe you actually spent money on me." Belly says.

"I didn't know you were still considering Princeton." Laura says. They go into an awkward silence.

"Conrad, do you want to give Belly your present?" Susannah asks. I can see the guilt spread onto Conrad's face.

"Sorry, I forgot." Conrad says. Bella raises her eyebrows. The room goes dead silent. Susannah gives Conrad a look.

"I promised Cleveland that I'd show him some knots today so I gotta go." He says. He leaves. "Happy Birthday, Belly."

Jere and Belly go for a driving lesson and they go to pick up Belly's friend Taylor from the bus station. I wish Sarah could be here.

Susannah asks to paint my portrait so I agree and go sit by the pool.

"So, how's it going?" Susannah asks.

"Good. It's really nice here." I say. "I'm actually having a great time."

"I can tell." Susannah says. "You and Conrad are more alike than you think."

"Really? How so?" I ask.

"You're both pretty quiet for the most part and you both like day drinking." Susannah says. We both laugh and talk for a little longer.

After she's finished, I go inside to the kitchen and get a drink of water.

"Well hello there bestie." I hear. I look at the door way and see Sarah standing there.

"Holy shit!" I yell. My eyes go wide and I actually smile. We hug and yell. "How are you here?!" I ask.

"I kinda got in touch with Taylor who got in touch with Belly, who got in touch with Susannah." Sarah says. She smiles.

"Pool?" I ask.

"Definitely." Sarah says. "I got you something." She says. She hands me a bag and I open it. It's a blue bikini.

"A bikini?" I ask. "This reminds me of last summer." I say.

"Yep." Sarah says. "Now come on, put it on." She says. She goes and puts on a pink bikini while I go out waterproof makeup on my wrist and put on the blue bikini.

Last summer was the best summer, my parents both alive, hanging out with Sarah almost everyday, no idea that my mom had cancer. She lied to us for months until she collapsed and had to be brought to the hospital where they broke the news to us.

"Mackie!" Sarah says. "Hurry up!" She says. "You want Conrad to see you in that bikini, don't you?" She asks. I laugh and open the door. "Damn girl!" Sarah says. "I bet Conrad would want to eat you up after he sees you." She says. We both laugh and then go out to the pool. There is a volleyball game going on between Taylor and Belly vs Jeremiah and Stevie.

"Mind if we join in?" Sarah asks. "Mackie and I play the winners?" She asks.

"Totally!" Jeremiah says. Sarah and I sit down. Then I see her.

Nicole and Conrad.