21. Thinking About Him

I get in the car with belly and get to the dance thing. When we get there, I don't have an escort. Neither does Belly.

We just stand there, awkwardly. Everyone else has an escort.

"Hey!" Nicole walks over. "Neither of you have an escort?" She asks.

"Nope." Belly says. "6 margaritas ruined that." She says.

"I counted 7." Nicole says. "Why don't you have one, Mack?" Nicole asks.

"I never really got to it." I say.

"Mhm, I see." Nicole says. "Well Belly, I can dance with you, but Mackenzie, you can just sit in the corner and look pretty. No, sorry, I mean look ugly." Nicole says. I look down and sit down. I see everyone else dancing with their escorts and then there's me. Just sitting alone in the corner.

Then Jeremiah walks in and starts dancing with Belly. Damn, he can just take her. I want Conrad to come.

Then Jeremiah starts playing a pop song and everyone starts dancing to it. I laugh a little, but wish Conrad was here.

After Jere is forced to leave, I see a person in a white t-shirt leaning on a door frame. I stand up and see Conrad. He's looking for someone, probably Nicole.

Then he looks at me and smiles, he waves at me and I wave back. Then Nicole sees him and thinks that he's waving to her. Conrad leaves and then texts me.

Con: Wanna get outta here?
Mack: Hell yeah

I don't know how, but I manage to sneak out and get in Conrad's car.

"So, how was your 10 minutes there?" Conrad asks.

"I hated it." I say. "It got a little better when Jere crashed it though." I say.

Conrad smiles at me and then starts driving. "So, I gotta go meet with Cleveland." Conrad says. "I can drop you off at the house on my way."

"Yeah, that works." I say. I smile at him. He looks happy for once, actually smiling for more than 10 seconds.

We get to the house and Conrad stops the car. "I'll see you later Mack Attack." He says, laughing a little.

"See you later, Con." I say. I smile at him as he drives away. Then I go into my room and get changed. I clean off the makeup and put on a long sleeved shirt and shorts.

Then I sneak past the mothers and I go to the beach. I go sit down for a while and then fall asleep laying in the sand, thinking about Conrad.