12. Party Down

Later, we have a lobster dinner for Belly's birthday. I'm sitting next to Conrad and next to Sophia. She leaves tomorrow at 3 am to go home. I'm going to miss her.

Cameron, Belly's boyfriend, is here too. I see Jeremiah staring him down with jealousy. But either way, Cameron is a dork.

"So Cam, mind if I call you Cam Cameron?" Jere asks.

"Mhm, yeah man, feel free. That's funny." Cam says.

"I'm glad you're here Cameron." Susannah says. "I know your mom, Denise, from the club. I have heard a lot about you."

"Thank you so much for having me, Susannah." Cameron says.

"Cam, have you ever had miyeok-guk before?" Laurel asks.

This has got to be the most boring dinner ever.

Then Jeremiah starts talking about how Cam is vegetarian and how he kisses Belly's lips after she eats a dead animal.

"And then those dead animal lips touch your lips, right?" Jeremiah asks.

I laugh a little. Then Cam kisses Belly. Damn, I wish Conrad would do that to me right now.

By the corner of my eye, I see Conrad staring at me. I go to look at him but he looks away.

Then Jeremiah pretends to barf.

"Wow, Jeremiah, the things you do when you're jealous." I say. Stevie starts dying laughing and I see Conrad crack a smile. Then the whole table laughs.

Then Stevie tells the table a story about someone peeing in a fireplace. I'm not really paying attention so I don't know who.

Conrad and I don't laugh. I don't really find it that funny because I wasn't there. Conrad was there though. Why isn't he laughing?

"You know, I'm thinking we should go to Nicole's party." Belly says.

No. Nicole will just be a fucking bitch again.

"Will you come, Mack?" Belly asks. "Please, for my birthday?" She asks.

I look at Sarah. She looks like she wants to go.

"Yeah, sure, whatever." I say. Sarah and I go upstairs and get dressed into nicer clothes. I put on a top that is kind of like a shorts bra. I put on some jean shorts and makeup for my wrist.

Then Sarah and I get in a car with Belly and Taylor. We get to party and head inside.

Nicole goes and hugs Belly. She gives me a dirty look and then says hi to Cam.

Belly goes over with the other girls while Taylor goes to get a drink. I know that she doesn't like Belly's new friends or new personality. I don't like it either. Sarah taps my shoulder.

"Mack, I know you don't like those girls, but your stuck with them for the deb thingy so get over there. I'll be fine." Sarah says.

"Are you sure?" I ask.

"Yes, absolutely." Sarah says. "Now, go unmake enemies." She says. I walk over to the girls.

"Hey Mackenzie!" Nicole says. "We didn't finish our conversation from the last time."

I look down. No. I have to be strong

"Oh, no we didn't." I say. "Well, you see..." Then I stop and flip her off. I look over her shoulder and see Conrad drinking with some kids. I see him look at me and then I look away.

"I need a drink. See you later, bitch." I say. I walk over to get a drink, then I go looking for Sarah. I text her and then I walk around the house and and see her getting wasted. I put my phone down on the table and I go take her drink from her.

"Slow down, Sarah." I say. "You okay?"

"I don't know Mackenzie? Am I?" She asks.

"Okay, that's enough for you." I say, laughing. Sarah has a habit of getting overly wasted at parties.

I take her outside and give her some water. We go sit on the stair together. Conrad, Jeremiah, and Cam are playing beer pong.

Then Nicole comes and sits next to me. "Hey you little orphan!" She says.

"Excuse me?" I ask.

"Well, your parents are dead so you're an orphan." She says. I stand up and help Sarah up. My eyes get a little glossy.

"I um, I'm tired." I say. "I think we're gonna head home." I say. I help Sarah walk away. We get in the car with Belly because she's leaving too. What a fuck-filled night.

Then I remember, I left my phone on the drink table. Fuck. I run back inside and grab my phone. I go to run out but I trip on someone's foot, Nicole's foot.

"Get up. It's not like your parents are here to help you. Do it yourself." She says. I get up and run out. I catch Conrad's eye as I run out with glossy eyes.

When I get home, Sarah sleeps in her guest room and I go to sleep.

I wake up the next day and I head to the deb thing. Then I see Nicole and Conrad making out in the corner. "I love you Nicole." Conrad says.

Then Nicole turns around and punches me. "Hey you little orphan." She says. "Hey, how's your daddy?" She asks. I stay silent. "How's your mommy?" She asks. I look down.

"That's what I thought. Now go back to your little orphanage where you belong." She says. I start crying.

Then I wake up crying. Fuck. It was just a dream.

I see the door open. But I turn the other way.

"Hey Mack, it's Conrad, you okay? I thought I heard something." Conrad says, saying in the doorway.

"Conrad, I'm fine." I say.

"Alright, goodnight." He says. He goes to close the door but hesitates. Then he closes the door and leaves.