𝔽𝕚𝕧𝕖

Mara stood beside Wednesday in front of Principal Weems' office door. Wednesday had ended up half-carrying, half-dragging Mara back to Nevermore and to the infirmary. Luckily, with some rest and a bit of healing magic, the cut on her forehead was already gone, leaving a small scar in its place. Afterwards, Mara had stumbled back to her dorm, flopping on her bed and passing out immediately. This morning, she'd woken up to a note on her nightstand from Wednesday telling her to meet her at Weems' office.

"Still can't believe you got into my dorm without me noticing," Mara grumbled, still exhausted.

"You should get a better lock," Wednesday deadpanned before pushing the door open and walking into the office. Mara shook her head with a smile, she shouldn't have expected anything else.

*•.¸♡ ----------------------------- ♡¸.•*

"How could you miss a dead body?" Wednesday asked, clearly annoyed. Sheriff Galpin was in Weems' office with them, and apparently his search team hadn't found anything.

"Kinda hard to miss," Mara remarked, crossing her arms over her chest, glaring at the sheriff from her position beside Wednesday.

"'Cause it wasn't there," The sheriff returned her glare, "No footprints, no blood, no sign of a struggle. Nothing. Nada"

"That's impossible," Mara said, growing more and more annoyed. Her and Wednesday had both seen Rowan be killed, how could he have missed that?

"My search party looked all night," Wednesday turned to look at Mara, as if she couldn't believe the sheriff was this incompetent.

"Well, your search party must have left their seeing-eye dogs at home." Wednesday shot back, turning to look at the sheriff again.

"I literally watched the monster kill Rowan, right in front of me-." Mara spoke up.

"Get a good look at this monster thing?" The sheriff interrupted her, turning to look at Mara suspiciously.

"It didn't stick around for a chat," Wednesday glared at the man, she didn't like the way he was looking at Mara.

"Maybe it was one of your classmates," Sheriff Galpin suggested, his gaze not leaving Mara. Wednesday noticed this and stepped in front of Mara, glaring daggers at the man. Mara smiled softly, watching Wednesday step in front of her. Sheriff Galpin just scoffed, turning his attention to Principal Weems when she cut in.

"Sheriff, I find that question offensive." Weems said, staring down at the Sheriff.

"I don't care, 'cause I got three other dead bodies in the morgue." Sheriff Galpin retorted, "Hikers just ripped apart in the woods."

"The mayor said those were bear attacks," Weems narrowed her eyes at the sheriff while Wednesday and Mara shared an incredulous look, there was no way Weems actually believed those were bear attacks.

"Well, the mayor and I disagree on that." Sheriff Galpin said while Mara watched the two adults bicker in amusement.

"So you automatically assume a Nevermore student is the murderer, even though there's no evidence a crime was even committed." Weems responded, clearly annoyed.

"I'm sorry. I forgot, you only teach the good outcasts here, right?" He retorted, glaring at Weems. Mara chuckled under her breath, making Wednesday turn and elbow her in the stomach, earning a muffled groan from the brunette.

"My guess is Rowan ran away." Weems sighed, changing the topic, "State troopers have put out an alert, and I've contacted his family, but they haven't heard from him either."