𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐚𝐥

𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐀𝐋. it's my party and i'll cry if i want to

❨ cobra kai ❩

BAKING WAS A SCIENCE, AS RIGOROUS AS CHEMISTRY OR EVEN PHYSICS

BAKING WAS A SCIENCE, AS RIGOROUS AS CHEMISTRY OR EVEN PHYSICS. There were rules that had to be followed. Too much of one thing and not enough of the other could lead to absolute ruin.

Jieun found comfort in this. Outside, the world was unruly where people prowled with sharpened knives. In baking, there was only order.

Her mother was more traditional on birthdays, seaweed soup was the go-to meal on days like these. While her dad loved to break it, so, after the food he served a grand chocolate hedgehog cake.

At first, store-bought. Then, as time passed, they all had a part in the baking process.

A new tradition, which, Jieun did not, would not, break.

As her father wished.

She still thought of herself as a victim. So did everyone else. Baking seemed the only way to change that. She wanted to pour her runny, sloshing existence into a human-shaped mold and crank up the heat, emerging soft, springy, and new.

So far, it was working.

In the kitchen, she spread twin lines of bowls across the counter, sized according to what they contained. The biggest ones held the base ― powdery mounds of flour and sugar heaped like snowdrifts. Medium bowls were for the glue. Water. Eggs. Butter. In the smallest bowls were the flavors, the tiniest amounts packed the largest punch. Chocolate puree and slight orange zest, cinnamon, and cranberry.

Robby stared at the array of ingredients, uncertain. "What are you going to bake?"

"We are going to bake a chocolate hedgehog cake."

She wanted Robby to witness firsthand the formula behind baking and to experience its safety; she wanted him to see how it's helped her become more than just a girl screaming through the house.