Not So Bad, After All

So we ended up talking.

He'd already started packing, ready for Storm Coast College which was starting two weeks from now.
"You can visit, you know? It's a really lovely campus -- I've got it."

I looked at him confused as he scrolled quickly on his phone, showing me a picture of a Pride poster.
I immediately shook my head.

Now, of course I wanted to go. What gay on earth wouldn't?
But my parents, they'd suspect, and also, the venue was still a long drive away. There was not a snowball's chance in hell that I'd be able to pull it off. See, my parents, other than being an an engineer and a secretary, they were extremely devout Christian people.

Sol looked at me with puppy eyes. "Ris, you know that this is a good opportunity, for both of us. Just tell them that you'd be visiting me for the day, we'll get an Uber and drive back and forth."
He was so excited about this, stars practically shone in his eyes but I told him I'd think about it.

...

We were seated by class, so I sat between Aashvi and Jayda with a cap too small on my head.
It was only for today, so I didn't care that much.
Sol, as expected, got certificates for Math, Life Sciences, Physics and Accounting but me? Nothing quite yet.

"Next we'll call Ms Orion for third place in Consumer Studies!"
Spoke too soon.

I took off my cap, Jayda's hands were in my hair in an attempt to make it look decent, and ran on stage to accept an envelope and a hug from Ms Daniels.
96% was way more than I thought I'd get. I took a photo by the photographer, still stunned. I couldn't believe that I got topper for something.

My entire grade clapped as I climbed off the steps, and I was struggling to keep a not-crying face.
And right there, I saw Sol smile, hollering with the rest of my class -- and just like that, the function was over.

Everyone was handed a gift box, and their results. Music blared and kids was taking photos with their families -- only Sol and I were without parents for the day.
We shuffled around, Jayda and her million relatives took photos with teachers.

"Hey, Amaris, I need to speak to you." It was our admin teacher, Mrs Isaacs. She was a sturdy lady with a expresso-coloured stare that could kill usually, but she wore a soft look and hugged me tight.

I looked at Sol apologetically, and he went to sit with Aisha, taking the hint for privacy.

"Amaris, are you a boy now?"

She asked it in a way that had my palms sweating, but I only nodded -- causing her to hold me closer.
"No matter what happens, my boy, you will always be my son."

My teacher, if you didn't know, she had this little joke that we -- her admin class -- were her children. God, I almost bawled my eyes out, knowing that my own biological parents would never accept me.
I swallowed my tears back, thanking her and hugging back.

Maybe this adulting thing might not be so bad after all.