Pride (pt3): Ga(y)s Station

Bet you thought that I was gone for good.
This story is still mine. After all, and there aren't many stories about middle-class, abrosexual South African boys.

"Ris, where are you?" Sol was getting concerned over the phone as I ran through the park. It had been ages since I'd been there, and I had no idea were to start.

We agreed to meet at the McDonald's across the venue, and I was late.
You'd think that Sol would be used to it by now, me being late.

I stood at the gate, my parent's behind me.
"I'm on my way, I'm just ... taking a detour."
"Oh my God, Ris."

I didn't wanna blame his short fuse on him, he had been waiting a long bit. I took a deep breath.
The sun was beating, no whipping, against my dark clothes. The beach was behind me, my dad and his car too, and the park ahead of me.
I turned around to my dad.
"Hey, uh ... Could you drop me on the back gate instead?"

...

I ended up at a gas station, waiting for my dad to fill up the car.
It was a regular gas station, with a bunch of gays, of course -- nothing could ever be so easy.
My dad walked past the window, almost sneering at the sight of rainbows, calling my mom to complain.

I shuffled forward in the line, staring at the head of a really pretty girl.

She seemed definitely American, maybe Spanish -- Latina tourist? Her oval face was framed with short, mahogany brown hair, and smelled like warm biscuits in the oven .. but that was not the reason why I wanted to talk to her.

No, I wanted to asked her where she got her t-shirt. 'All Bi Myself'? Genius design.

And she told me, her name was Cielo.