Pride (pt2): Ready as I'll Ever Be

A boy sits on a chair, paint almost completely peeled off, one ripped jean leg crossed over the other and bounces anxiously on one foot.
He stands up, old Converses scuffling across broken kitchen tiles, checking his bag for things he'd need: cash, snacks, phone, earphones. He had everything.

I didn't know him yet, a boy that I never noticed or even knew his name.

His fluffy blond hair softly cascades over his eyes, he knew that he should get it cut soon, it was getting too long. He checked his phone for his ticket, his COVID treatment card, and made sure that he had his ID.
Everything was perfect.

He wasn't one of your friends either, I would've known him if he was, but you had a lot of friends. Too many friends.

He paced around, tugging on the pockets of his worn-out hoodie, even though the day ahead would be blisteringly hot. He could just take it off.

He checked his phone, looking at a message from a contact named Barnie, waiting for her to show up. They could hardly wait for the day to start.
They were finally going to Pride, the both of them.

This was going to be the best day of their life, they thought, getting to know people from the community in person. Not that there was something wrong with the friends they'd made in internet circles.

His dad came behind him, ruffling his hair and laughing when he got elbowed in the side by his annoyed child.
"Remember to take care of yourselves, and that you've got class on Monday, so don't party too hard --"

"Of course, dad, just remember how it felt like to not have me around." They joked back.
His dad winked, and he gagged, immediately regretting what he said. Now he'd never get his memory wiped clean of the innuendo.

"Just don't make me anymore siblings, two brothers are more than enough."

Just in the nick of time, the aforementioned Barnie hooted at him, getting his attention.
About dang time, he thought.

He hugged his parents goodbye, and slammed the third-hand door to the green car.
The inside smelled like vanilla spray, and in the driver's seat was Cielo, their best friend of ... possibly forever.
Her short, brown hair was straightened, and she wore a white t-shirt with the bisexual flag on it, with the words "All Bi Myself" lettered on it.

"Ready, Elijah?" She shifted gears. He nodded.

Ready as he'd ever be.