Chapter Six

As Build made his way back to the car with Bible walking beside him, he wondered if there was something wrong with him.

"What do you want?" Sofi's question kept on repeating in his head. Bear was all that mattered in his life and he was having a hard time looking beyond that.

"No they don't. They think he went to get richer because your dad wants more money." More words came through. Build wondered where that rumor would have come from.

"I think he has more eyes for you than the coach." Build flushed.

"He has a lot of friends," Bible commented as they got into the car. The attempt at conversation was a welcome distraction from Build's thoughts.

A conversation about Bear was something he was comfortable with and was always willing to have. It was true, their son was indeed very social and got along with everyone in the classroom. Ajahn Sani had commented on it before.

"Yeah, he has a big social meter. Sometimes I can tell when he's run out of steam though. He gets a little quiet, and prefers to only talk to Amber." Build didn't start the car, remembering his son's hand in his as they walked to the main entrance. "Ajahn Sani says he likes to help too. He finishes a task and goes on to help others. He is such a good boy."

Build glanced at Bible who was looking down at his lap, nodding. Silence spread like a fogt growing steadily in the enclosed space, so Build hurried to turn the car on. Despite the camera on the dashboard, he placed his arm between the seats and turned his body to look behind him. It was automatic, one of those habits you do every day and without thinking.

Miscalculating Wichapas' proximity was a mistake he quickly came to regret. Bible's eyes stared up at him. He could practically feel his gaze tracing his cheeks. It was a heat that tickled as it roamed.

"You did a really good job raising him," Bible commented as Build sat back in his seat, choosing to focus on the camera despite it being too late.

"I didn't do it alone, Wichapas. You were there raising him with me as best you could." His heart was beating rapidly, he felt like he could still smell his cologne. It was a heavy scent that engulfed him.

"I think you had the hardest part."

"I don't think so." Build couldn't help but clarify, sighing as he did. "I can't imagine how hard it was to leave Bear for as long as you did."

When Bible left and the world became ten times bigger, Build still had his son. The familiarity of his scent. His warmth, the routine they developed. Leaving his country and son behind sounded agonizing.

It was quiet for a while. Build was too scared to start any more conversation. He drove diligently, but his heart never stopped hammering at his chest.

"What do you do while you wait? Do you always sew? Doesn't it ever get boring?" Bible abruptly asked as they neared the mansion's gate. His words were fast and they sort of lumped together.

Build didn't answer right away, revising the list of things he did when Bear was busy in school.

"Sometimes, but I keep busy in the studio. I'll be finishing the jerseys today, but I always find something to do. For example, I owe Amber a purple dress and if I get Sofia's measurements, I can finally try women's fashion. There is always a new project."

"You turned a room into a workstation?" Bible sounded genuinely curious and for some reason, it surprised Build.

As he waited for the gates to open, Build met eyes with Wichapas. Something about the way he looked back made him look a little more approachable. It helped give Build a small boost of confidence.