Chapter Ten

Build was up earlier than usual. And though he felt better that morning, he punished his filthy body by taking a cold shower. He shivered as he sat in front of his vanity. But by the time he was done drying his hair, he was back to smiling at the memory of last night with his ears back to red, his body back to heated.

Before coming down for breakfast he looked at himself in the mirror one more time. He settled for some jeans and a black baggy Palm Angels sweatshirt and wondered what his husband would look like wearing it.

At breakfast Build felt a fluttering in his stomach as his husband served him. When he looked up to meet his eyes, the feeling multiplied by tenfold and Build's heart kicked. Wichapas smiled down at him, hair falling over his eyes as he laid a plate in front of him. The oxygen in the room seemed to dissipate.

"Nice sweater." Bible's eyes were a dark siren's call as he looked over him. Build felt naked under his gaze, and his body threatened disobedience. Something about it felt like payback.

"Thank you." Build barely got the words out.

Because the second Iron Man screening wasn't until noon, Build spent most of the morning in his studio. He tried to keep his mind busy with his sewing, but it kept wandering back to the words spoken by his husband the night before.

"Don't worry about your dad, I'll take care of him."

They made a shiver run down his spine. He didn't hate it at all. Did his husband already know they were married? Did he know it was his father's fault they aren't divorced? Would he try to divorce again? Would Build have a chance to explain the second time around?

At the last question Build was abandoning his workstation to go hunt for the boys. They weren't in Bear's room and as he came down the stairs he ran into Aom. She was coming into the mansion with a far away look and a smile.

"Where are the boys?"

"In the garden." Aom smiled wider.

Build walked faster, curiosity prickling under his skin. But as he passed the guest-house there was a loud pop and Bear's loud scream. Build's legs were automatically in a run.

Past the pool and near the garden entrance he came to an unexpected stop. A two-liter plastic bottle came crashing down from above just a few feet away in front of him. It rolled in the gravel.

"Phaw!" Bear noticed his father as he ran in to pick up the plastic container. He spilled the water inside. "Papa made me a rocket with water. It went so high!" Bear raised the container above his head. Build felt his chest warm seeing the happiness glow in his son's eyes.

Wichapas, all white teeth and pink gums, appearing from the other side of the hedge completed the picture. He high-fived his son as they celebrated their successful launch. Build was paralyzed with awe. His boys were happy, playing to their heart's content and nothing else was more important.

"Phaw, come see! we can do it again!" His son came running to him, arms wrapped around plastic. Build looked up at his husband who beckoned him with his hand. He was wearing his signature jeans with a tucked black shirt. His hair was tight in a high bun.

Build recorded while Bible helped his son pull an air-pump. The pump was connected to a T-shaped white tube, which was also connected to a waterhouse. The two-liter bottle sat at the third end of the tube and when there was enough air pressure the plastic bottle went flying into the air. The water splashed and Build tripped back trying to cover himself. Luckily he landed safely on his butt.

"You okay?" Bible's hand was reaching out to Build right away. He had landed on the tiled pathway. He accepted the help and came to stand, but his husband didn't automatically let go of his hand. Instead he gave a smile that had Build's stomach twisting. It was again that feeling, that maybe Wichapas had something to say, but got stuck on curious eyes.