Part-12

" Ar..rjun?" Arjun stammered and acted as if he didn't know anyone like that to which Lekha smiled.
"You don't have to act before me, son! I know who you are and why you are here. I have heard your conversations", she said gently caressing his cheeks.

" Mata !", He called out softly and touched her feet.  " May god grant you strength my child!", She blessed him with all her heart and made him stand.

" It's been years! The last time I saw you were a mere child. Just look at you now, you have grown into a handsome man. And how's your mother? Is she doing well? What about him ? Sanjiv! Do you think he's good for her? ", Lekha put forward numerous queries at the same time cupping Arjun's face.

Arjun sensed her fret and hold her hands to make her calm " Ma!! There's nothing to be tensed off. Everything and everyone is good. And Subhadra! As long as I'm with her, I won't let anything happen to her . I promise!", His voice was authentic making her eyes moist.

" I always dreamed of handing over her to you. I thought you would be the best for her and my supposition wasn't wrong. You're indeed perfect for her but now...", Lekha's words startled in fright to replace Arjun with Sanjiv.

" Your wish won't go in vain . I may  not be the one who's destined for her but Sanjiv is a good person. I have known him since childhood and I'm sure he'll take care of her ", Arjun replied hiding all his pain in a single smile .

Lekha glanced at him for a few seconds inspecting his emotions
"Your eyes tell me something else Arjun. The feelings you have for her are quite visible in those eyes. You love Subhadra right?", She questioned him making a deep pain inside his heart .

His heart locked with so much pain blocking each tear drop from being brimmed up. " Yes I did  love her from the very young! I'll always! It was just for her, I buried down my own feelings. I even doubt if anyone can love her like I did ", Arjun let out the tears which was no longer able to conceal.

Her heart ached seeing him cry which she wasn't ready to take in
" Don't cry! I'll talk to her", Lekha stammered and wiped his wet cheeks .  Arjun blocked her way as she was about to step out " No Maa! She likes him! And he does too. I don't stand a chance. Love can never be forced . Let them live their life",  With an agony gliding through his soul, he forced a smile.

Lekha hummed reluctantly and promised him not to reveal his feelings to Subhadra.

______________________________________

The celebrations for the pre wedding ceremony was already started in Kalingga.  Everyone there was busy admiring the arrangements and decorations which were done to welcome the groom.

While Subhadra's eyes were constantly searching for Arjun who was nowhere to be found. Her heart skipped a beat hearing the sound of the drums indicating King jairaj's arrival. She clutched the end of her dupatta closing her eyes in a process to compose herself from the fear which had striken her. The sudden sound of the footsteps distracted her attention, she partly opened her eyes and looked at the direction to see Arjun and Lekha.

Subhadra's soul lit up like anything seeing him, a broad smile appeared on her face while he stood near her.
" Where have you been?", She asked  taking a glance at him.  Arjun gulped not knowing what to say, " Eh.. I was helping Maharani Lekha to arrange the Aarti ", he stuttered without facing her and pointed out the aarti which Lekha was holding.

She hummed and noticed Arjun's dejected face . His eyes were red and the kajal he applied was smudged making her dubious.
"Are you okay?", Subhadra asked with concern while rubbing his kajal with the end of her dupatta. Arjun nodded in a yes staring at her sparkling eyes.

Even though the answer wasn't a satisfactory one for her, she decided not to ask anything more. But her mind being unsteady in thoughts of his despondency, without any further thoughts she hold his hand to make him comfort . A soft smile appeared on his lips as he felt a sudden warmth of her hand on his. As a result, he intertwined his fingers with hers taking a deep breath, tightening his grip with each passing moment.

Subhadra said nothing with her voice but everything with her eyes. She reciprocated the same with a blissful smile observing him through the corner of her eyes. Her smile soon vanished as saw Viraj approaching.
" Arjun!", She whispered making him come out of his world.
" You better be careful around him. He can't be fooled easily", she spoked eyeing at Viraj. Arjun nodded his head and adjusted his veil covering most of his face as he already knows what will be the later consequences if he got identified. He was not at all scared of Viraj in anyway but he was afraid how Subhadra is going to react when she learns the truth.

" Pranipat jyesth pita", Subhadra greeted Viraj eyeing down.
" May you have a joyous life ahead", he blessed her sarcastically gazing at King jairaj who has arrived. She glared at him annoyingly which made him laugh. " Eyes down dear! And I'm warning you! Don't try to act smart", Viraj apprised her while his eyes went over Arjun who was trying to control his anger.

" And who's this?", Viraj asked noticing the lady beside Subhadra. Arjun and Subhadra looked at each other a bit nervously , while Lekha interrupted " She's Subhadra's new maid, Brihannala ", she said making them nod to her statement.
" I appointed her yesterday . As the wedding is approaching, So I thought it would be helpful if I assign someone to prepare Subhadra for the same ", She pointed out the reason  taking a small glance at Viraj. He hummed taking a look at Arjun and went to welcome Jairaj.

Viraj and Lekha greeted King Jairaj and did a grand welcome . While amongst all the welcomes and greetings his eyes fell over a woman, whom he watched continuously.
But it wasn't Subhadra, but the lady who stood beside her, Brihannala.

____________________________________________________________________________