5!

[𝑭𝒐𝒓 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒔𝒐𝒏, 𝑰 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒘𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒇]

~~~

I checked the time on my phone.

12:02???

Why did I sleep that long?

I checked my phone again. The lockscreen displayed a notification of 12 missed calls from  Yinka and a message at the top.

It said, ‘WE'LL CELEBRATE WHEN I GET BACK!!’ and I instantly had an idea of what the calls and messages were about.

It was about that time of the year. The time that I dreaded the most. It always reminds me of how time isn't on my side and how unaccomplished I actually am.

You guessed right, it's my birthday. Sigh.

Another thing I hate more than my birthday is celebrating it and I'm not pretty sure Yinka gets it. It's a good thing she's not in town.

After getting brushed and clean, I got dressed in a white crop top and grey sweatpants. I grabbed my phone and purse and left my apartment. I decided to drive to Coffee and Cakes for a quick brunch.

When I got there, I ordered my best breakfast menu consisting of a glass of milk, cupcake, omelette, bread and sausage.

About twenty minutes later, I was done with the meal and went to work since I always brought my laptop along whenever I came over.

My phone rang and it was mom. I contemplated ignoring it but to me safe, I decided to answer the phone.

“Hello Mom.” I greeted her.

“How are you? Happy birthday my dear daughter. Y'know I almost forgot but your sister just reminded me. What an angel!” I rolled my eyes at her appraisal.

“Why did you call Mom?”

“You just turned 30 today. When I was your age, I had already given birth to both you and your sister. Anyways, we are having dinner with your sister and her doctor boyfriend today.”

“We as in?”

“As in you and I, your sister and her doctor boyfriend today by 8pm. Don't be late.” I noticed she was overemphasizing the fact that Chisom's boyfriend is a doctor.

“What if I had plans?”

“That is your business, Chizitaram. Don't be late. Come so you can tap blessings from your sister.” She cut the call and I hit my head repeatedly on the table.

This woman is slowly driving me to my brink. She always finds a way to make everything about her perfect daughter.

Today is my FUCKING birthday for crying out loud!!

I groaned and I heard someone knock on the table. I looked above me and saw the same girl from the building.

"It's actually you. Wow!" He said. "D'you mind if I sit here?" He asked almost immediately. I took a good look at his and it looked like he just got out from the gym.