Chapter Seven

The walk to the park is anything but quiet

The walk to the park is anything but quiet. Mey talks the entire time and convinces me to play eye spy. Holding her hand, I make sure to be on the outside of the sidewalk, closest to the road.

"I spy with my little eye something red," she says, tapping her chin. I look around and notice numerous things that could be red.

"That car?" I question, pointing to one passing by. She shakes her head, wearing the biggest grin. "Um... the fire hydrant?"

"No. You get one last chance, or I win the game, " she quips.

"Okay, okay. Hold on, let me think." I look around tentatively, but her hint is very broad. I make a guess off the top of my head. "The stop sign?"

"Awww. I don't win," she says, frowning. "That was right."

I chuckle and shove her playfully. "Mey, it's okay to lose a game. You just have to take it like a champ." Something her daddy could never do. She was the biggest sore loser I knew.

Speaking of her daddy, we're passing her construction company's main office right now on the other side of the street. As I mentioned before, the Reeds own several properties, and we were bound to run into one. Thankfully, there's a closed sign at the door since it's after hours.

I sigh, letting out the breath I didn't know I was holding. "Everything okay, Ma?"

I pat her hand as we stop at the crosswalk, waiting for the green light for pedestrians to pop up. "Yes, baby. I'm okay. Let's get back to the game. Whose turn is it?"

"Um... It's mine," she says quickly, pulling a fib, but I let her have it because I know she's sad about not winning. "I spy with my little eye something..." We make it to the park, and she does a 180, looking around for something. "I spy something yellow?"

Her words are more of a question than a statement as if the object she's looking for is not actually here. "Uh... okay. Let me think."

I turn around to look. "The swing?" I guess, but there's no answer. When I turn back around, she has run down the field, giggling and running towards a little girl in yellow. I'm assuming this is the yellow she was searching for, but I'm very confused about how they know each other. I have been to Miami, but my daughter hasn't, so who is this little girl she's talking to?

"Zoey! Wait up for me!" I hear a familiar voice call out on the side of me. She breezes past without even seeing me, and my breathing stops.

"Hurry up!" The little girl answers back.

As I stand here, facing Valiana after so many years, I can't help but feel a wave of surprise and disbelief wash over me. Is this really happening? I wonder, my heart racing with anxiety.

"Who's your friend here?" she asks the little girl my daughter is holding on to.

"Mommy! This is Meylin," the girl responds.