Chapter Forty

𝑅𝒶𝓎𝒹𝑒𝓃
♥ Flashback 4 months Earlier ♥

"You ready, little one?" I ask Mey, sitting in the passenger seat next to me.

"Are you ready? This is a really big thing," she asks, sounding like the adult here, as if she's giving me the best life advice.

I chuckle. "Yeah, but it's our thing, right?" I ask, reaching a fist over the center console.

"Absolutely!" She nods and fist bumps me before we both salute.

"Let's hope our boat doesn't sink in there." I open the car door and she does the same.

"It won't. You got this, Captain!" She slams the door and walks over to me. This sea joke between us started a while back when I presented her with the idea of changing our current project. I laid out the plan, and she was like, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, Captain. Slow this ship down. You want to do what?"

It was hilarious to see my personality shining through my child. She was thrilled when I gave her free rein in the project, told her she was now the captain of this ship, which she took literally so far.

And now, here we stand, about to propose the most insane thing to all the board members and investors of the Grand Scheme hotel we've spent four years building.

We both enter the building dressed impeccably, wearing matching crisp blue tailored suits. "Hold on a sec," she says, pausing at the lobby's glass to check the clip in her hair, which matches the one in mine, keeping our blonde curls locked away.

Entering an empty space, she settles at a massive, polished mahogany table positioned in the room's center, surrounded by plush leather chairs. As I walk toward a large window that overlooks Miami's skyline, I hear giggling and see Mey twirling in circles, getting dizzy. I might have joined her if there weren't so much on my mind right now.

It's not just about the project. I found out just two days ago that the woman for whom I'm changing the entire course of this construction plan for – a change that might jeopardize this entire project – slept with my wife.

And I'm aware. She didn't ask for this change; she isn't even aware of the project. Meylin and I have maintained absolute secrecy. This undertaking was meant for her, for Meylin. But, even in light of the situation with my wife, I still want to pursue this project.

I should have anticipated the connection forming between them. I just wish I could admit my feelings, tell her that I do love her, the way Olivia does. But I have a tendency to speak without weighing the consequences. As the saying goes, those who are hurt often end up hurting others, and regrettably, that's precisely the path I followed.

This project is my apology letter. It's the love that I wish I could just say out loud.

However, just as I was a coward years ago for failing to express myself, that same cowardice persists. I can't risk pushing her to take Mey away or to lose them again. Yes, I'm angry at them for not initially communicating with me, but I'm more angry at myself for still not being able to tell them how I truly feel.

"Dad, I think they're coming," Meylin says, sitting up straight in her seat.

The room fills with well-dressed men and women, murmuring impatiently among themselves. Once everyone is settled and the door is closed, I look at Mey, and she nods, giving me courage.

I clear my throat and adjust my suit.

"I've called you all here to propose a significant change to our hotel project."

A murmur of surprise spreads around the table.

A silver-haired man sits up straight, and everyone falls silent. "Change? Rayden, we're nearing completion. Investors have poured millions into this." Mr. Anderson says sternly.