Chapter Eleven

The drive back to their parent's house was quiet, almost suffocating in its silence

The drive back to their parent's house was quiet, almost suffocating in its silence. Olivia sat beside me in the back seat; her presence comforted my anxiety from being away from Meylin for so long.

Josephine followed us in her own car, having closed the restaurant for the night early. I could feel her excitement radiating in anticipation of seeing her grandchild for the first time.

But that excitement couldn't drown out the lingering tension from the dinner conversation. The discussion about splitting custody and the possibility of Rayden taking her away had struck a nerve. It settled at the forefront of my mind and festered there like an open wound. Every passing moment away from Meylin felt like an eternity.

As we pull up to the house, I barely manage to hold back my impatience while waiting for the car door to be unlocked.

"So quick to run off again?" Rayden remarks, a hint of annoyance in her voice. I didn't bother responding. My mind solely focused on getting to my daughter. Despite knowing they would never harm her, a mother's worry never truly dissipates.

Upon entering the house, I find all the adults engrossed in a movie in the living room. "Hey Malia, Meylin fell asleep about 30 minutes ago. She's up in Zoey's room," Alex states, planting a gentle kiss on the top of Josie's head before leading the way.

Following her up the stairs, we reach the room where Meylin is asleep. As Alex opens the door, I catch my breath at the sight of my angel slumbering peacefully on the bed. Her hair is a wild halo of curls, and a tiny puddle of drool gathers at the corner of her mouth. Above her, Zoey rests on the top bunk, also sound asleep.

"You could just let her stay the night if you like. So, you don't have to wake her," Alex suggests, her voice soft with empathy. "She could also swim tomorrow with Zoey and her friends and go to the park with Val. It gives Meylin someone to play with while she's in Miami. She mentioned she was going with you to work."

The thought of being apart from my daughter overnight was daunting, let alone for an entire day. "Can you please give me a second?" I ask, my voice wavering. She nods and steps out, leaving me alone with my sleeping daughter and my thoughts.

Sitting beside her, I tenderly brushed her blonde coils from her face, marveling at her innocence. Memories of the day she was born flood my mind. The overwhelming protectiveness I felt in the moment as I first held her.

The persistent concern that Rayden might try to take my child away stirred up old emotions, reminiscent of when the doctors attempted to separate us right after she was born.

In both instances, it seemed as though they doubted my capacity to raise my own child.

•••••