Chapter Twenty-One

Olivia and I sit by the side of the rink, engaging with the twins

Olivia and I sit by the side of the rink, engaging with the twins. They bear such striking resemblance to her, and it warms my heart to witness not just one mini-version of Liv, but two. This sight triggers thoughts of Junie, and what she might have looked like had she grown up.

However, I keep these thoughts to myself, refraining from expressing them aloud to avoid causing Olivia further distress. Shutting it down after the night we shared a kiss was a necessary defense. I can't allow myself to be lured back into their grasp. I made the foolish mistake of surrendering to those emotions once, and repeating it feels like an impending disaster.

The persistent temptation to let myself fall again is like a little devil on my shoulder. It whispers of rediscovering the happiness I once had, before everything crumbled with Olivia's departure. Yet, as Rayden made explicitly clear years ago, I swat away this temptation with the logical understanding that I can never, and will never, be fully integrated into their lives.

Raven and I have settled into the Reeds family home for now. Our attempt at apartment hunting yielded disappointing results – I had mistakenly believed that prices would somehow be different here compared to California, but they are equally outrageous.

Despite the setback, we managed to secure a place with two rooms – one for Meylin to enjoy her own space and another for Raven and me. Unsurprisingly, Rayden voiced her opinion on the matter, but I'm resolute in my independence – I neither need nor want her financial assistance.

Raven and I have been roommates for as long as we've known each other. And it's unlikely that anything more will transpire between us, considering she's completely head over heels for Valiana.

However, there's a bit of a wait before we can actually move into the new apartment, as the earliest availability is a month away. As a solution, Tyler has coordinated the storage of our belongings from our previous California residence until we're ready to transport them here.

The fashion show was a tremendous success, prompting the company to give the green light for my relocation to kickstart my work with them.

I duly signed a new contract, ensuring I read through it beforehand. Fortunately, with the impending bonus from the show, I'll have the means to treat Meylin to an array of new things. Having her own bed and room for the first time is an added bonus.

It's been a month since our arrival in Miami, and while a part of me misses California, another part is delighted to witness the sheer joy my daughter finds in the company of her father.

From a distance, I watch Rayden and Meylin approach the Skee-Ball machine with matching grins. Rayden hands her a handful of tokens, and warmth washes over me as I see the excitement in their eyes.

As they assume their positions at the lane, I can practically feel the rink's energy through their shared laughter. Rayden's encouragement is evident, her patient smile guiding Meylin's focus as they toss the balls toward the targets. They exchange high-fives and victory dances with each successful roll.